Best Canadian Anime Stores?

• So it was recently announced that HMV, my main source for anime, is going out of business and with it goes my anime purchasing. The only other site I really know of is Amazon, which is a shame because they were always more expensive then HMV.

So do any other Canadians have ideas on where to go now? We do, very rarely, get releases in Walmart and I do generally buy those, but there are also many Walmart exlusives that we never get sadly.

• I wasn't even aware of HMV. lol I know that Best buy (which I do not like), and Walmart have more titles available online than on the store shelves. Walmart also has free shipping if you spend over $50 iirc, which is pretty easy to do.

• I actually found it the complete opposite, I found most of the anime at HMV to be more expensive then amazon, there were exceptions to this where I did find it cheaper at HMV but, my experience I found it sometimes 20-30 dollars cheaper on amazon.

• RightStuf.com has free shipping to Canada on purchases over $149, so it's usually best to stockpile and order from them once or twice a year.

• @deathhawk2 said in Best Canadian Anime Stores?:

I actually found it the complete opposite, I found most of the anime at HMV to be more expensive then amazon, there were exceptions to this where I did find it cheaper at HMV but, my experience I found it sometimes 20-30 dollars cheaper on amazon.

I found when it was online, it would be more expensive but the Calgary stores had pretty regular sales on anime. S.A.V.E series were normally 16.99 where as Amazon ranges around the $23 range. I also managed to get Boy and the Beast for $10 and I found new releases were usually $3-$5 cheaper and since they were in store, I didn't have to pay shipping. But it may have just been the stores we have here, I found that prices varied even between stores in my city, so I had two locations I would hop between and check prices. Saved quite a bit of money over the years.

I NEVER bought Sentai titles at HMV though. For some reason, those were insanely overpriced. They had a copy of Angel Beats that sat on the shelf for years because it was an $80 purchase, those were insane. Funimation titles were always reasonable though.

@SpacemanHardy said in Best Canadian Anime Stores?:

RightStuf.com has free shipping to Canada on purchases over $149, so it's usually best to stockpile and order from them once or twice a year.

I think it's $249 for free shipping? And it's in US dollars, so winds up costing quite a bit more (Right now $249 US converts to $327 Canadian). It's a good suggestion but I have a hard time spending that much in a lump sum, if I spread it out it doesn't seem like I'm spending as much haha. Maybe I'll just have to wait and split an order with someone so we can both benefit from the free shipping and not have to spend that much to get the free shipping.

@Haildodger said in Best Canadian Anime Stores?:

I wasn't even aware of HMV. lol I know that Best buy (which I do not like), and Walmart have more titles available online than on the store shelves. Walmart also has free shipping if you spend over $50 iirc, which is pretty easy to do.

Not a fan of Best Buy either, but I am always glad when Walmart gets an anime title, I just wish they got all the Walmart exclusives that the US does. The stores here are inconsistent as well, for instance they got Tokyo Ghoul season 2, but not season 1. So it makes it a bit of a frustrating way to go.

• @emdier Season 1 is available online through Walmart even though it can't be found in store. They have a bigger selection online. Overall, it's still hit & miss though.

• @SpacemanHardy I mostly buy anime off of amazon, sometimes at best buy, fye, and gamexchange.

• @Zethus @Haildodger @emdier @SpacemanHardy @deathhawk2 1 word EBAY.... Enough said...

• @gohan6425 I saw FMA Brotherhood Complete Series going for $40 on DVD (Both Parts)

• @Zethus That pretty creap since FMA Brotherhood Complete Series is out of print currently... And the sale for it are very up...

• @gohan6425 I'm conflicted on either getting that or Wolf's Rain or Code Geass

• @Zethus Well when Code Geass was out of print I got a good deal for R1 and R2 box sets $28.00 and $26.00 for both box set... Glad I did b/c the Blu-Ray are not that really different and that change the logos... Ebay the best place to find the deal and you have a better change of getting free shipping then you do on Amazon... And that HAVE show aless 1 photo so you can see what your buying which is something Amazon you not required to do... Ebay best place to shop online for Dvd and Blu-Ray...

• @gohan6425 sadly I only buy on amazon. Sometimes at the used section. (That's how I got Neon Genesis Evangelion)

• @Zethus Why? amazon is worst that over price thing out of print... Ebay does not...

• @gohan6425 what am I supposed to do? Make a ebay account, get an eBay gift card?

• @Zethus Make an ebay account it free to sign up... And then you can paid though paid pal or your credit card no ebay card is need...

• @gohan6425 what about gift cards?

• @Zethus Yup you can used gift card too... :) Also pre paid card too if you wanted to used that... Also Ebay gift card can be brought at Tops Food Stores if you have one need you...

• @gohan6425 no. I live in the south. So Kroger is where I got my amazon gift cards.

• @Zethus Well You got a Family Dollar need you? b/c that have then too...

• @gohan6425 Dollar General sometimes