If Funimation HAD won rights to Sailor Moon License, how do you think that would have handled it?

• So it no secret that Funimation WANTED the rights to Sailor Moon but lose out on the bidding war with Viz Media for it. Which is why Viz had the right and is currently dubbing right now... However let play a What IF game here... If Funimation HAD won the bidding war for the Sailor Moon License how do you think that would have handled it?

Now we have to keep alot factor into account here as it not that easy as one would thing.

1st thing I would like to said. I do believe REDUB the series just like Viz did no madder what. HOWEVER! I don't think that would have done what Viz did. I think that would have reprint the old dub as well... Why do I said that? B/c of the Escaflowne Old Dub that that still used in the Blu-Ray with there updated 2016 English Dub that where both used in that Blu-Ray Release. Now some people said that the old dub "is not available" and even Viz I think said but I don't believe to be the case at all. I just don't think Viz wants to reprint it. And just stated that. DiC still has the Season 1 and 2 master that made back then. But that my take on it.

Anyway now let move on to how the new dub would have been handled:

I think I KNOW Funimation likes doing is "catering to nostalgia" Dragonball Z and even Speed Racer since well it STILL called Speed Racer which is not its Japan Name is prove of that.

So I do think some of the old DiC Names may have been used for the dub. Of course that just opinionated on my part. Now for the casting, Funimation is KNOWN for trying to get old voice actor back for titles that did very good. And though Escaflowne New Dub does not have any of the old voice actors for the old dub. This is SAILOR MOON where talking about here. Which is a big different. It was the female Dragonball Z and Funimation knows that. So I could see then trying to work with Canada Voice Actor and try aka studio and try to get a deal done to get as many old voice actor back as that can. That done this with many pick up titles before so I could see then doing it here for Sailor Moon.

So well that my take on this.

So now what do you guys and girls thing? How do you think Funimation would handled Sailor Moon?

Now we had to keep in mind this is mostly why Toei did NOT give the rights Funimation . B/c Toei wanted Sailor Moon to be all new and well as it seen now Viz is just doing whatever Toei wanted it to with Sailor Moon. Which could be why Funimation did not get it in the 1st places. But this is a what IF thing so let the theorys coming out. Also if you think would have still done in-house. For the redub list who you think would have been cast in what role too etc.

Sailor Moon Says...

• I think they would be doing exactly the same thing as viz is doing. The reason i think this is because of Naoko Takeuchi. She is the lady who wrote the manga and had a tight grip on the franchise. She gets the final word on anything viz does with the show and is even involved with dub casting, just like Oda when he was consulted for funimations dub of one piece

• @Getchman That not true dude... She does not have a said in the casting... If she had a say in all the casting then why is was everyone role now put out right away? When 1st said who was voicing the Scouts? That need time to cast. Viz casted the voices... The WHOLE thing with the creator casting the voices is a myth dude... It cover up by Viz to make it think that way. Also Oda does not get final One Peice. Funimation start dubbing that show when it still was airing on Toonami back in the day. When that where taking over for 4Kids Dub. There is no casting. Funimation picks who get casted in One Peice.

• The early episode commentaries for one piece confirm what i just told you. But if you want to believe its a myth, and bury your head in the sand, have fun

• @Getchman Dude there was nothing "confirm" I do research on this crap... Funimation handed the casted then self that do same for DBZ... That how it ALWAY been... And just b/c someone said something does not mean it true lol... You learn that if you are wrestling fan just ask Hulk Hogan he claim he never took drugs at one time and that was a flat lie...

• 0_1485970785659_OPM ok.jpg

• http://imgur.com/a/EaseX

• @classyspartan @SpacemanHardy Most you both posts gif and photos???? Can you like type word about the thread at hand!?

• @gohan6425 said in If Funimation HAD won rights to Sailor Moon License, how do you think that would have handled it?:

@classyspartan @SpacemanHardy Most you both posts gif and photos???? Can you like type word about the thread at hand!?

Frankly, what good would it do? All you'd do is yell at us and tell us we're wrong over and over again like you always do. :|

• @gohan6425 What even is the point?

If we offer our own perspective you try to argue and tell us we're wrong. When we try to inform you, you tell us we're wrong. When we offer our opinions, you tell us we're wrong.

You don't want a conversation. You want to validate your own views.

So there's no real point is there?

0_1485975346722_HxH 2.gif

• @classyspartan said in If Funimation HAD won rights to Sailor Moon License, how do you think that would have handled it?:

@gohan6425 What even is the point?

If we offer our own perspective you try to argue and tell us we're wrong. When we try to inform you, you tell us we're wrong. When we offer our opinions, you tell us we're wrong.

You don't want a conversation. You want to validate your own views.

So there's no real point is there?

0_1485975346722_HxH 2.gif

Especially considering how easy it is to trigger him. All someone needs to say is "DBZ is dumb" or "Superman is better" and he goes on a tirade.

alt text

• Say what you will, the man is indomitable. Nothing you throw at him even phases the guy. lol

alt text

• So U'm going to actually respond to this because I think it is an interesting topic.

Now, I'm going to start off with that I've never really watched Sailor Moon but I do know some stuff about it.

First, I think the voice cast would be similar. I'm not sure about all of the main voices in the show but I do know some work with Funi so it's likely they'd be cast as well. There might be some differences but it would probably be similar. I'd doubt it'd be better or worse.

I could see Funi appealing to nostalgia and reusing some of the old names if any were changed. (I'm not familiar with the show so I'm not sure if anything was changed but given the time the old show came out stuff probably was.) I guess it'd really come down to who writes the script. Also, it depends when that script would've been written. I feel like Funi has gotten less strict translation and has done more adaptations lately. Now, nothing too big but they do seem to add more slang or the like in recent dubs IF it fits. (High school girls sounding more like high school girls, etc.) I could see them throwing in the old way of referring to things if they think it'd be funny or not TOO out of place.

Although, the thing I'd be more interested in would be if Funi had gotten the license now; if they got to start from the beginning today. That'd be really different. They have a lot of new / newer talent that they seem to be using a lot nowadays (looking at Sarah and Jennie?) that probably would've gotten cast so that would've been really different.

Will probably come back to this soon once I get more time. interesting things to think about.

• @betuor you bring up good points but most of the original voice cast from the original Sailor Moon dub work in Canada. Funimation is in Texas so they would have to get a studio in Canada to do the dub there if they did decide to go in that route. Like kind of like what Funimation did back in the day with the original dragon ball Z season 1 and 2 dub which was all done in Canada by ocean. I could see them trying to do that for sailor moon here but it would really all depend on how they would be able to do it.