Funny (odd)

• So I was walking through Walmart on my way to check out the new releases, and while I was moving past the children section I happened to glance AoT Season 1(from Funimation)... I seriously had to do a double take. I have never seen any anime at our local Walmart; ever! The closest I've come, is when I picked up Final Fantasy Advent Children years back. I also thought it was kind of funny that it was in the kids section; It is rated 14A. Maybe it's a sign that anime is becoming more main stream. lol

Anyhow... so yeah, I bought that shit up quick. ~.^

• IIRC this was one of the shows with a Walmart-exclusive SKU in fact (I think it was a DVD-only version).

• That's entirely possible. They only had dvds left, but my thought was that the BD had sold out. Mine was the second to last copy on the shelf.

• They did the same thing with Tokyo Ghoul and Assassination Classroom, as well. DVD-only releases for select titles that you can only find at Wal-Mart.

There are also some Wal-Mart exclusive DBZ releases out there too, if you can find 'em.

• Very cool. The price was pretty damn good (Cheaper than if I had bought it online and had it shipped.). I'll have to start keeping an eye out for more titles.

• I bought the Attack on Titan live action Blu-ray in Walmart here in Canada. Was surprised to see it. They also had the anime version of AoT as well which again surprised me. I found I need to check every now and again because you never know what they might have.

• I don't know why Canada seems to be different, we never got Assassination Classroom (Trust me, I looked, I really wanted it), but we got Seraph of the End, Attack on Titan, Tokyo Ghoul Season 2 (Not season 1). We also tend to get all the films (Ghost in the Shell, Akira, Psycho Pass the Movie, Wolf Children).

We also get almost all the VIZ titles (Hunter x Hunter, Sailor Moon, Pokemon, etc.).

• @emdier
    Good point. I saw Akira in my local Walmart on the weekend...should really pick that up TBH. You are correct with your other points, but I'm surprised I even see what I do, being in a smaller Northern Ontario city. Best Buy doesn't really carry anything (though I did buy Full Metal Panic at Futureshop a few years ago). But that's beside the point as this is about Walmart.

• @lord_haw said in Funny (odd):

@emdier
    Good point. I saw Akira in my local Walmart on the weekend...should really pick that up TBH. You are correct with your other points, but I'm surprised I even see what I do, being in a smaller Northern Ontario city. Best Buy doesn't really carry anything (though I did buy Full Metal Panic at Futureshop a few years ago). But that's beside the point as this is about Walmart.

Same here, for physical releases I relied almost entirely on HMV as they were the only ones, besides the Walmart releases, that weren't massively overpriced (Any other place was small comic book shops, and they sell half season from Funi for around $70). Of course, HMV just announced that they are closing their doors so now I'm gonna be relying on Walmart, hopefully they pick up more with less competition but I doubt it.

• No HMV's here, but we went to one in the summer in the GTA...the heavenly chorus was going with my daughter and I as we went through their selection ;) Picked up a few shows too between us.

Yeah I heard HMV was closing...too bad. Amazon is my friend largely when buying physical copies unless I come across one I want at Walmart.

• @lord_haw said in Funny (odd):

No HMV's here, but we went to one in the summer in the GTA...the heavenly chorus was going with my daughter and I as we went through their selection ;) Picked up a few shows too between us.

Yeah I heard HMV was closing...too bad. Amazon is my friend largely when buying physical copies unless I come across one I want at Walmart.

I hate buying things online, but might have to if I really want something. Not sure how I will get Wolf's Rain now, might just have to bite the bullet and go Amazon (do have something else I want from there anyway). Maybe Walmart will get it, but I kind of doubt that.

• @korrailli
    Well...you never know. But yeah, I doubt it. Amazon is the best option where I live unfortunately. I'd rather visit a physical store.