I miss my subtitled anime...

• As I understand it, Funimation is now moving some of its subtitled anime over Crunchyroll due partnering up. While this agreement may sound good in theory, as a Funimation Premium subscriber who only watches subtitled anime, I am no longer getting the type of service I was just this last year. I now essentially have to subscribe to two streaming services.

I tried watching Akiba's Trip and was very disappointed to find that I have to listen to the English dub. Fortunately, I took out a trial on CR because there was one series I really wanted to watch, so I was able to check out Akiba's Trip in 1080p there. Unfortunately, the quality is noticeably inferior on CR.

So can I expect all future simulcast shows to only be available in the English dub? Furthermore, if Funi also picks up the BD rights to a show, will they only be providing the English dub of that as well? One of the reasons I subscribed to Funi is because I can watch uncensored anime with Japanese audio and subtitles (obviously the simulcast aren't uncensored).

I'm quite disappointed by this to be honest. The video quality has noticeably improved with the last update but that doesn't mean much considering I can't watch the shows I want with subs only. Actually, it makes it worse because now I have to buy a second subscription to a service that offers inferior video quality just to watch my show so it is a tough pill to swallow.

I hope to see subtitles come back. There is a larger portion of the anime fandom who only watches subtitles. Please keep us in mind Funi. Surely I am not the only one who is upset about this.

• Back when they announced the partnership last year, they said straight out that, aside from a few cases, all the subs were going to CR and the dubs to Funimation, and the older ones that were already subbed or dubbed on their respective site would eventually be transferred to the other.

Also, Funi will be the one who brings the stuff out on BD/DVD, and will have both the dub and sub on them (or just the sub on a few of the things Funi has cheaped out on).

Basically, Funi for Dubs, and CR for subs. Works fine for me, as I don't want to spend money on subtitled stuff, but for the foreseeable future, it is going to be the way it is.

• Hmm. I missed that part about them sending the subs to CR. I thought they were just going to be sharing some titles.

Regardless, I signed up for this long before that announcement. I'm pretty unhappy that I now have to pay for two separate anime streaming services. Granted, it isn't much money, but when I signed up for Funi premium, I did so with the expectation that I would be able to watch simulcasts. Funi's simulcast feature is now useless to me. I either have to wait for the home release or use CR which has inferior video quality, at least based on the title I tested.

Sure, getting more content on Funi is a good thing but now sub only watchers have to pay for two streaming services. I suspect that some who are only willing to pay for one will switch to CR altogether. If it wasn't for the fact that I can get uncensored and higher quality home releases here, I would too.

Funi has literally killed off half the reason why I pay for this service. I really hope to see a change in the future. Hopefully there are enough people out there who are bothered by this and will make their concerns known.

• Yes, the deal is mixed bag. Technically at moment, I only have a CR sub for such reasons.

It appears rerelease on old content will have both sub/dub here... Case in point, the upcoming Wolf's Rain. For now, the arrangement only appears to relate to future content and select past content. Unfortunately, if you dont care for dubs, u will have to go to CR from now on.

BTW, in terms of "quality" of CR, it is a bit of misnomer... CR uses conventional, unaccelerateed vector graphics, FUNI uses special graphics. It makes everything "look 3D"; characters seems to pop out from background especially on big screen, but at cost of noticeable frame rate lag.

When the anime pans the camera, especially left/right axis; or just the mouth flaps, u will notice. For me, it us somewhat disorientating. I noticed, for example, the new Amazon Fire TV Stick does this with all of their stuff, FUNI or Hollywood.

Because content isn't generally recorded at max FPS for screen (60hz/fps), there can be visual lag in the image when they make it 3D mode. So, although image is sharper, it is more irregular motion. The blur of lower graphics such as CR covers up some of these problems.

So, "technicals"... But no matter.

• This post is deleted!

• I also only just realized this. And shortly after renewing my Funimation subscription too. Dammit. I suppose I'll have to wait until next year to cancel.

• @AidanAK47

U can technically cancel now; remove payment method, but you will still have access until end of period.

As for me, I see maybe, maybe a 1-month return in April or so. Hard to say. Winter (subs) will be done by then, so reenage some FUNIStuff.

If things like movies were to go live on streaming, may "influence" the timetable somewhat. Like Haruhi/Your Name, the like. But I doubt it so, it is indeed...

• It's great that Funimation and Crunchyroll is working togther... Not really. Funimation is doing a great job at moving forward at video sales and Dubbing anime, but there so much taking away from this deal.

One Funimation was suppose to move forward on Dubbing Mob Psycho 100 and Testament of the Sister New Devil, Not just that but Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress. Out of 1/3 came out of this, and that was Mob Psycho, pretty good surprisingly, but its being made by another studio. "WHAT HAPPEN?!" It stated on the both blogs "in the coming weeks...", nothing for the other two.

But i rather watch these shows Dubbed anyways. Seeing the shows like Tanya the Evil and ReLife made my life easier. I dislike some of the Subbed shows anyways. If you bothered asking then rethink the animes again, "Were the actors any good?" Look up some of the shows you watch and ask that. When i watch shows like Dragon Ball (Series), Blue Exorcist, Akiba's Trip, 'So, I Can't Play H!', or The Devil is a Part-Timer, i can always see some of the actors are horrible or not doesn't reach the expectations the character really deserves.

• The Devil is a Part-Timer
      -Emilia (The Hero) Has the worst VA you can ever listen to and sounds too mature. (Go to Ep 2 and watch the scene where they argue.)
      -Massive lip flapping at every in episode (Compare and get a friend for this; you'll be surprised that you've been in denial. Got me too. Example: Episode 1)
      +Guilty pleasure at their fighting
      +Now removable Subtitles
      +Nisekoi's VA in here :)
      +Creators of Re:Zero

• Blue Exorcist
      -Rin Sounds like he's dying or broke his voice on something.
      -Yukio sounds a lot older then Rin
      -Support Characters share the same fate in lip flapping (Focus Rin's home in Episode 1 and focus closely at the exorcists)
      +Story's good and i have no problem with the jokes

• Akiba's Trip
      -Animation rush but no the problem. If the animation not at par with the script then there's no point of wathching.
      -Arisa's VA - she's a laugh but she can't meet to stay at her voice without having problems with her pitch
      -Some actors(Once being stripped) are lacking at the lost department. Check out the first girl Tomatsu strips
      +The music and easter eggs are fun

• So, I Can't Play H!'
      Note: I don't care for the black bar showing, so i rather just watch the uncensored version on DVD
      -Don't get me wrong! I love all the VA's here. But, always knew some were off. Like, Quele Sellier, Her voice actor is always off in a way i can't explain. i refuse stating, that she can be a weak actor, until she admit it to the world.Arisa Nishiguchi AKA Quele Sellier

• Dragon Ball
      -We all can't deny Goku's VA doesn't sound right.

Either way i rather not fret about the Subtitles right now. If you seen Tales of Zestiria the X, you kinda say, "I rather wait until the site is properly fix from all the tweaks."
    Plus, its kinda funny. Some of the people who would yell at Funimation for being late for subtitles are being yelling at Crunchyroll. Tanya the Evil and Chaos;Child were highly anticipated titles not just that Akiba's Trip had delays of their own. Include the problems we would have if Kadokawa's Deal, and their probably be a lack of anime. Kadokawa owns Servamp, High School DXD, Tanya the Evil, Date A Live, and all the other big titles you like today.

Best choice now is to wait it out like a storm. Subs will comeback and we probably get to see it soon.

• well, what happened is that using "in the coming weeks" was far too vague of a term to use for the kind of massive undertaking this partnership created. the stuff that was promised will happen, it's just going to take time. more than the time frame suggested in the press releases.

Just for clarification, the lip flapping you mention, which language are you referring to?

• @Mrluis613 said in I miss my subtitled anime...:

-Emilia (The Hero) Has the worst VA you can ever listen to and sounds too mature. (Go to Ep 2 and watch the scene where they argue.)
    -Massive lip flapping at every in episode (Compare and get a friend for this; you'll be surprised that you've been in denial. Got me too. Example: Episode 1)

1. I actually like this show; the IRL comparisons to McDonalds/Japan are real. Indeed, there is no problem with VA here. The characters on this anime are all "20+", to say the least. "The Hero" isn't some little kid here, is supposed to sound older. And she is "white", so...........
    2. IDK why people complain about lip flap issues. This is anime, not Disney. Don't stare at their mouths.

• @Mrluis613 said in I miss my subtitled anime...:

One Funimation was suppose to move forward on Dubbing Mob Psycho 100 and Testament of the Sister New Devil, Not just that but Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress. Out of 1/3 came out of this, and that was Mob Psycho, pretty good surprisingly, but its being made by another studio. "WHAT HAPPEN?!" It stated on the both blogs "in the coming weeks...", nothing for the other two.

FUNi is dubbing a fair number of shows this season, which is quite a lot to cover. They'll probably get around to both Sister New Devil, and Kabaneri (if they stated as much), but neither may not become available until near the home video release.

• @thegrandalliance said in I miss my subtitled anime...:

BTW, in terms of "quality" of CR, it is a bit of misnomer... CR uses conventional, unaccelerateed vector graphics, FUNI uses special graphics. It makes everything "look 3D"; characters seems to pop out from background especially on big screen, but at cost of noticeable frame rate lag.

When the anime pans the camera, especially left/right axis; or just the mouth flaps, u will notice. For me, it us somewhat disorientating. I noticed, for example, the new Amazon Fire TV Stick does this with all of their stuff, FUNI or Hollywood.

Because content isn't generally recorded at max FPS for screen (60hz/fps), there can be visual lag in the image when they make it 3D mode. So, although image is sharper, it is more irregular motion. The blur of lower graphics such as CR covers up some of these problems.

So, "technicals"... But no matter.

Am I allowed to ask if you were on cold medication when you wrote this? Because nothing in there made any sense (from vector graphics, which you will only see on Crunchyroll in the few Flash-animated series and maybe in the OP/EDs of certain shows, to FPS which for all HD anime will be 24fps and has never been more than 30fps, and is often actually more like 8fps since anime has traditionally been animated on threes).

• @Shirobane

Disregarding vector graphics speculation, other stuff the same. When I watched Fairy Tail on the Amazon Prime Instant Video store vs old site, 'tis was very different.

The new site is same way as well. I admit, hard to explain at first, but maybe u might know it differently...

But no matter...