Nichijou sub only release?!?

• so a few months back Funimation said they acquired Nichijou. my first thought was awesome and then I realize that they were releasing it as a sub only release. based on myanimelist this anime is very popular and has a very high rating. I'm not sure if this was a licensing problem or just because it's a old anime (2011 not that old). but surely it deserves a dub?

Score: 8.51/10
    Ranked #98
    Popularity #141
    Members 262,520

• sure, but a MAL score only tells you what a selective group people think of it, and not if they will actually buy it. my short time in the MAL forums tells me the answer is no. most people there are pro fansubs and torrenting and will viciously defend their right to do so. so, not a good a metric on its own. And yes, even though it did air only 5 years a go, it is old, so that was certainly a factor, along with many others that us regular folks will never know about.

• Much as I'd absolutely love to really see a Nichijou dub I think the higher ups just assumed that a show that was several years old wasn't worth the investment it would take to localize and dub it. I mean I love the sub for Nichijou about as much as anyone could, but I still really would've liked to have seen what it was like dubbed.

Oh well. At least we're getting it on Blu-Ray plus an OVA so I'll take what I can with it, I'm just glad it's out of license limbo now.

• My guess is they're not dubbing seires that they get after the original air date anymore, the last one they did was escaflowne and fans had to pay for that themselves for them to do it. I'm guessing they're possibly not dubbing old seires anymore either because the Crunchyroll partnership has a stipulation that requires funi to meet a certain quota of sub-only releases or just to appeal to sub fans in general, either way it sucks because there's alot of older stuff that deserves dubs but didn't get them either because they were gotten by now closed down companies or didn't get licensed at all.

• Hello new forum person here and um i Know everyone would love to this show dub but from what i heard it has cultual puns that would not go well with the dub which is why i think it is sub only

• @Getchman said in Nichijou sub only release?!?:

sure, but a MAL score only tells you what a selective group people think of it, and not if they will actually buy it. my short time in the MAL forums tells me the answer is no. most people there are pro fansubs and torrenting and will viciously defend their right to do so. so, not a good a metric on its own. And yes, even though it did air only 5 years a go, it is old, so that was certainly a factor, along with many others that us regular folks will never know about.

I didn't realize my anime list was such a sketchy site. I've never looked at their forums. I just use it for general information and reviews about animes.

• @nickdo I don't know if things have changed since they were bought, but fansubs always used to be core to MAL; they would list who was subbing a series and what releases were available, and their collection feature centered around what version of the fansubs you had and what you were storing them on (with a "retail DVD" buried somewhere in the middle).

As far as "sketchiness" goes, today's headline is that they are editing articles to avoid offending Nazis....

• The do still have what groups are fansubbing a title. It is just that you only see if you have an account on MAL. If you don't have an account with MAL you won't see that list.

• When the Nichijou BluRay/DVD is released, will it also be available to stream on Funimation?

• Why bother even having any episodes at all when it won't even play . Just get an error code .

• @cavempt The show will launch for streaming on February 7th.

Source: https://twitter.com/FunimationHelp/status/826738317169397760

• If this show was popular, and some people thinks it warrents a dubs, then why isn't it getting a dub? and is such decision final forever?

I feel popularity doesn't always seem to be the factor in which shows get dubbed or not. I think its random. But companys refused to get into complete details, and does not want the public being involved in the decision making process.

• @Rejectedshadow said in Nichijou sub only release?!?:

@SpacemanHardy I'm getting mixed messages here.

https://twitter.com/SpacemanHardy/status/826528731984445441

Yeah, I saw that too. I guess for the time being we can only assume that for now it's going to be available on home video only, until we get further details.