PlayStation Video Quality

• Hello, everyone! (^o^)

Could anyone experiencing poor video quality while streaming on the PlayStation app please submit the below information and screenshot examples, if possible?

Console:
    PlayStation Download Speed Test:
    Show Name:
    Episode #:
    Language:
    Version (Uncut or Simulcast):
    How long did you watch the video?
    About how long did it take for the quality to improve or did it not improve at all during the test?
    On a scale of 1-10, how would you rate the quality? (1 is super bad old realmedia file that is barely watchable, but you watch anyway because anime and 10 is Blu-ray):

• Console ps4
    Speed test through network setup download 68 to 72 megabits out of my 150 megabits
    Devil is a part timer.
    Episode 1
    English
    Uncut
    1 minute 42 seconds
    Started cleaning up at 1minute 40 then got to Blu-ray quality at 1 minute 42.
    Started a quality of 2 and slowly got better but still got motion artifacts until it hit Blu-ray quality. I liked it better when it went straight to the good quality instead of shifting through to the good quality. Wouldn't it make more sense to do a small speed test before streaming?

• I have two Roku's and now a PS4
    On PS4 the quality on playback moves from HD to SD to hey is this a Real Player file over dial up .....it's a roller coaster of streaming of the last 20 years and all in one 24 min show.

While the buffering issues that started to plague the older app are mostly gone it does buffer way more then the Roku's

The Roku app is not great also but does playback with little quailty issue

• I was having issues watching Sky Wizards Academy, it was stuttering/buffering VERY BADLY, it was happening every second. You couldn't even understand what the characters where saying, I watched two other shows instead, I had no issue with them.

• Console: PS4
    PlayStation Download Speed Test: 495.3 Mbps Down 86.1 Up (I have ATT Fiber)
    Show Name: Code Geass
    Episode #: 1 & 2
    Language: English
    Version (Uncut or Simulcast): Uncut
    Ep 1 and about 10 min of Ep 2
    About how long did it take for the quality to improve or did it not improve at all during the test?
    Did not improve
    On a scale of 1-10, how would you rate the quality? (1 is super bad old realmedia file that is barely watchable, but you watch anyway because anime and 10 is Blu-ray): 4, the quality i am getting is around 480p it seems even though i have my settings set for 1080p. I have checked the same show using my phone and computer and it seems to be displaying properly. Only the PS4 app is having these issues.

• I have experienced many shows (dubbed) that look fine (Blu Ray quality) but lag/freezes every 2-5 seconds so terribly that my husband and I have all but given up using the Funimation app on the PS4 all together. We have watched whole episodes with the lag never stopping.

It has happened in simulcast shows and ones that have been on your site forever. Two I can think of are Servamp and the first season of Gantz.

I can send a follow up message with some other shows that do the same thing. We never had an issue before the major app update.

Our ps download speed is 93.9mbps.

• Console: PS4 Pro
    PlayStation Download Speed Test: 96Mbps down 7Mbps up (my actual connection is 150/15 but I've never seen this test go above this)
    Show Name: All
    Episode #: All
    Language: All
    Version (Uncut or Simulcast): All
    Entirety

Would go to full quality right after 10 seconds then stays that way for the next 3 or so then back down to terrible quality. Then ~slowly~ increases to full quality. Again for 3 minutes then repeats the cycle through the whole show.

On a scale of 1-10, how would you rate the quality? (1 is super bad old realmedia file that is barely watchable, but you watch anyway because anime and 10 is Blu-ray):
    goes from 1 or 2 and increases to 10 over time (like 3 mins maybe) and back down to 1 or 2 and repeats.

I will also mention that no changes to connection, network, or anything that would affect this have been made and this just started happening roughly a month ago and I thought maybe it would sort itself out except that it did not.

• @Sophie said in PlayStation Video Quality:

Hello, everyone! (^o^)

Could anyone experiencing poor video quality while streaming on the PlayStation app please submit the below information and screenshot examples, if possible?

Console:
    PlayStation Download Speed Test:
    Show Name:
    Episode #:
    Language:
    Version (Uncut or Simulcast):

Ps4: model CUH-1115A
    system version 4.55
    60.5mbps down 3.5 up

I usually finish watching every episode and tolerate it as much as possible. My only alternative is to watch on small tablet or pc but prefer tv.

Happens to everything I watch and has been for some time. Currently watching a certain magical index episode 6.
    It starts at a 1-3 quality then will eventually get to a 7-9 for 1-4 minutes then drop again to 2-5 for atleast double but usually for longer than the duration it looked good.

Other issues are subtitles are on every show I watch despite them being turned off, they are also always out of time too. 0_1495346529154_20170521_015845.jpg

• I only watch on my playstation and have very good quality and almost no buffering. Once in a while it it has been paused for 30min to an hour i get buffering and reduced quality. So I have to restart the app but that only takes a few seconds.
    80mbps down
    12up

• @sargcj Are you unable to turn the closed captions off? The setting itself is weird. It says "Off" but that is actually the Off button. You select it to turn them off, which will turn it into an On button. Unfortunately, the closed captions will turn right back on again when you marathon to the next episode, but that will not be an issue with the new PlayStation app.

As for the quality issue, that should also be improved with the new app, but we can only verify that with user reports.

• I hope the new app fixes the quality issue. And that it's soon. It's getting to the point of intolerable. I've put serious thought into cancelling my subscription as if I wanted terrible quality, there are cheaper (free even) alternatives. The browser version works flawlessly on the same network as do my mobile devices. But I need the couch friendliness that the PS4 provides.