Why are you breaking your service/videos for those protecting their privacy?

• I think this warrants its own thread due to the nature of my grievance.
    In the FUnimationNOW thread, I commented how videos would not play for me. So I did a little investigating

Funimations service breaks if you are a privacy oriented individual using free software (Spybot Anti-Beacon) to block tracking and telemetry URLS

I am seriously 2 steps from canceling this service.

My original post I wrote before decided to make a new topic is below

I did some testing with a virtual machine.

There are two key differences here.
    That virtual machine is not set up to block personal information trackers, lock down privacy settings, etc.

My actual machine however, is. On both installations I never use Microsoft Edge. I don't touch it, install plugins for it, etc.

Yet videos still do not work in edge on my real machine, however they do on edge in the virtual machine.

While browsing the site on my real machine, certain links will set off uBlock origin because of privacy lists I am subscribed to. for example the show recommends as you scroll down the page.

I have certain tracking URLS blacklisted in my windows hosts file as well.

The only thing I can think of that is preventing me from watching funimation on my real machine, is that this new web site is being WAY too invasive of what its users are doing. I see no other explanation for why videos will fail to work across 3 separate browser code bases, yet work just fine in that virtual machine.

I have narrowed it down to my windows hosts file

frankly, Funimation is idiotic for tracking customers through anything that might be blocked like this to the point where it breaks the user experience. Funimation has no business tracking me through any of those URLS.

The moment I cleared my hosts file, videos started playing on my main machine. If I put the restrictions back, the videos again stop playing on the Funimation web site.

This is absolutely unacceptable. Below is an except of my windows hosts file. I am not going to spend 5 hours debugging this to tell you which URLS are the offending ones, I am a paying customer and that is your tech departments job.

You are irresponsible for breaking your service in such a way because I choose to block telemetry trackers and other privacy invading "features". You are not giving me videos for free, I am paying you a fee to provide me videos. Not track my every move.

[quote]
    /# Copyright (c) 1993-2009 Microsoft Corp.
    /#
    /# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
    /#
    /# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
    /# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
    /# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
    /# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
    /# space.
    /#
    /# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
    /# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
    /#
    /# For example:
    /#
    /# 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
    /# 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

/# localhost name resolution is handled within DNS itself.
    /# 127.0.0.1 localhost
    /# ::1 localhost

/# Start of entries inserted by Spybot - Search & Destroy
    /# This list is Copyright 2000-2015 Safer-Networking Ltd.
    /# End of entries inserted by Spybot - Search & Destroy

/# Start of entries inserted by Spybot Anti-Beacon for Windows 10 Optional
    0.0.0.0 a.ads1.msn.com
    0.0.0.0 a.ads2.msads.net
    0.0.0.0 a.ads2.msn.com
    0.0.0.0 a.rad.msn.com
    0.0.0.0 a-0001.a-msedge.net
    0.0.0.0 a-0002.a-msedge.net
    0.0.0.0 a-0003.a-msedge.net
    0.0.0.0 a-0004.a-msedge.net
    0.0.0.0 a-0005.a-msedge.net
    0.0.0.0 a-0006.a-msedge.net
    0.0.0.0 a-0007.a-msedge.net
    0.0.0.0 a-0008.a-msedge.net
    0.0.0.0 a-0009.a-msedge.net
    0.0.0.0 ac3.msn.com
    0.0.0.0 ad.doubleclick.net
    0.0.0.0 adnexus.net
    0.0.0.0 adnxs.com
    0.0.0.0 ads.msn.com
    0.0.0.0 ads1.msads.net
    0.0.0.0 ads1.msn.com
    0.0.0.0 aidps.atdmt.com
    0.0.0.0 aka-cdn-ns.adtech.de
    0.0.0.0 a-msedge.net
    0.0.0.0 apps.skype.com
    0.0.0.0 az361816.vo.msecnd.net
    0.0.0.0 az512334.vo.msecnd.net
    0.0.0.0 b.ads1.msn.com
    0.0.0.0 b.ads2.msads.net
    0.0.0.0 b.rad.msn.com
    0.0.0.0 bs.serving-sys.com
    0.0.0.0 c.atdmt.com
    0.0.0.0 c.msn.com
    0.0.0.0 cdn.atdmt.com
    0.0.0.0 cds26.ams9.msecn.net
    0.0.0.0 compatexchange.cloudapp.net
    0.0.0.0 corpext.msitadfs.glbdns2.microsoft.com
    0.0.0.0 cs1.wpc.v0cdn.net
    0.0.0.0 db3aqu.atdmt.com
    0.0.0.0 ec.atdmt.com
    0.0.0.0 fe2.update.microsoft.com.akadns.net
    0.0.0.0 feedback.microsoft-hohm.com
    0.0.0.0 flex.msn.com
    0.0.0.0 g.msn.com
    0.0.0.0 h1.msn.com
    0.0.0.0 lb1.www.ms.akadns.net
    0.0.0.0 live.rads.msn.com
    0.0.0.0 m.adnxs.com
    0.0.0.0 m.hotmail.com
    0.0.0.0 msedge.net
    0.0.0.0 msftncsi.com
    0.0.0.0 msnbot-65-55-108-23.search.msn.com
    0.0.0.0 msntest.serving-sys.com
    0.0.0.0 pre.footprintpredict.com
    0.0.0.0 preview.msn.com
    0.0.0.0 pricelist.skype.com
    0.0.0.0 rad.live.com
    0.0.0.0 rad.msn.com
    0.0.0.0 s.gateway.messenger.live.com
    0.0.0.0 s0.2mdn.net
    0.0.0.0 schemas.microsoft.akadns.net
    0.0.0.0 secure.adnxs.com
    0.0.0.0 secure.flashtalking.com
    0.0.0.0 sls.update.microsoft.com.akadns.net
    0.0.0.0 static.2mdn.net
    0.0.0.0 statsfe1.ws.microsoft.com
    0.0.0.0 statsfe2.update.microsoft.com.akadns.net
    0.0.0.0 statsfe2.ws.microsoft.com
    0.0.0.0 survey.watson.microsoft.com
    0.0.0.0 view.atdmt.com
    0.0.0.0 www.msftncsi.com
    /# End of entries inserted by Spybot Anti-Beacon for Windows 10 Optional
    /# Start of entries inserted by Spybot Anti-Beacon for Windows 10
    0.0.0.0 choice.microsoft.com
    0.0.0.0 choice.microsoft.com.nstac.net
    0.0.0.0 df.telemetry.microsoft.com
    0.0.0.0 oca.telemetry.microsoft.com
    0.0.0.0 oca.telemetry.microsoft.com.nsatc.net
    0.0.0.0 redir.metaservices.microsoft.com
    0.0.0.0 reports.wes.df.telemetry.microsoft.com
    0.0.0.0 services.wes.df.telemetry.microsoft.com
    0.0.0.0 settings-sandbox.data.microsoft.com
    0.0.0.0 settings-win.data.microsoft.com
    0.0.0.0 sqm.df.telemetry.microsoft.com
    0.0.0.0 sqm.telemetry.microsoft.com
    0.0.0.0 sqm.telemetry.microsoft.com.nsatc.net
    0.0.0.0 telecommand.telemetry.microsoft.com
    0.0.0.0 telecommand.telemetry.microsoft.com.nsatc.net
    0.0.0.0 telemetry.appex.bing.net
    0.0.0.0 telemetry.microsoft.com
    0.0.0.0 telemetry.urs.microsoft.com
    0.0.0.0 vortex-sandbox.data.microsoft.com
    0.0.0.0 vortex-win.data.microsoft.com
    0.0.0.0 vortex.data.microsoft.com
    0.0.0.0 watson.telemetry.microsoft.com
    0.0.0.0 watson.telemetry.microsoft.com.nsatc.net
    0.0.0.0 watson.ppe.telemetry.microsoft.com
    0.0.0.0 wes.df.telemetry.microsoft.com
    0.0.0.0 vortex-bn2.metron.live.com.nsatc.net
    0.0.0.0 vortex-cy2.metron.live.com.nsatc.net
    0.0.0.0 watson.live.com
    0.0.0.0 watson.microsoft.com
    0.0.0.0 feedback.search.microsoft.com
    0.0.0.0 feedback.windows.com
    0.0.0.0 corp.sts.microsoft.com
    0.0.0.0 diagnostics.support.microsoft.com
    0.0.0.0 i1.services.social.microsoft.com
    0.0.0.0 i1.services.social.microsoft.com.nsatc.net
    0.0.0.0 vortex-bn2.metron.live.com.nsatc.net
    0.0.0.0 vortex-cy2.metron.live.com.nsatc.net
    /# End of entries inserted by Spybot Anti-Beacon for Windows 10

• I use Ghostery to block website tracking, it blocks Bright Clove Player - https://apps.ghostery.com/en/apps/brightcove_player which is the video player, it keeps track of your episode and what not so Funny knows were you stopped and started probably while its being blocked by your software. Go unblock Bright Clove Player and it should work.

Although at the moment it seems to be better to watch shows on an app atm because some buffering issue. You can download the app to your windows 10 computer (maybe mac idk I don't work here) or you can use the phone or tablet app. My I-pad app works the best, the phone buffers every now and then. Although the mobile app have some weird problem with tilt on launch.

• It doesnt like disconect either. just being on the site accounts for 44 things. The videos are about the same you cant even get them to play with it on.

• The old site didn't need to do all this garbage and could tell where I left off with an episode. :(

• @shadowolfz said in Why are you breaking your service/videos for those protecting their privacy?:

I use Ghostery to block website tracking, it blocks Bright Clove Player - https://apps.ghostery.com/en/apps/brightcove_player which is the video player, it keeps track of your episode and what not so Funny knows were you stopped and started probably while its being blocked by your software. Go unblock Bright Clove Player and it should work.

Although at the moment it seems to be better to watch shows on an app atm because some buffering issue. You can download the app to your windows 10 computer (maybe mac idk I don't work here) or you can use the phone or tablet app. My I-pad app works the best, the phone buffers every now and then. Although the mobile app have some weird problem with tilt on launch.

Is this case there is no "unblock brightcove player" solution. Since its blocking by URL from the hosts file it blocks everything that uses that URL. Even if funimation's use is harmless and strictly for player related functionality, I am not going to open myself up to data mining in countless other vectors just so I can watch anime on my computer (I almost never use a tablet except to test things)

• If u use the Internet, u should forget about privacy. There are countless ways to find you; just ask Snowden, worrying about such is hopeless and unnecessary. Just don't use technology, old school is best.

In terms of the list u printed, IDK to whom u are objecting to. If you object to everyone, IDK what the problem is; the site makes u accept a TOU upon first load/login.

Yes, privacy is generally a good idea; in 2017, it is pointless. But no matter....

• @thegrandalliance

This is about my privacy as a consumer. I'm not worried about the government because I'm not doing anything nefarious, and I don't have the skill to keep them out. As a consumer however, my privacy is paramount and its attitudes like yours that have allowed corporations to increasingly encroach on our privacy.

I got no prompt for a TOS or w/e when the new site was launched. Only prompt I got was to reset my password. The old site did not desire to snoop on me to the point where it breaks a service I am paying for.

• @Neco

When u first goto funimation.com, a popup message displays saying "we use stuff to track u" and there is a big red button that indicates "I accept". For various reasons (such as popup blocker), maybe u cannot see it.

What I am saying is, there is no way to stop private company "spying". Even if laws are passed, they find ways around. Or do it anyways. From a realism standpoint, there is nothing can do to stop everything; u don't control the T1 ISP cables funneling ur traffic around.

Yes, I don't particularly like it... But, simple use info should not be of concern for FUNImation in particular. What is worse case scenario? How will ur usage of FUNimation be used against you?

Because I "troll alot"; as u might guess, on various forums, I willfully volunteer info without concern. Almost like, building a brand of sorts. So I don't care if x knows I am watching y. Indeed, might be good thing; maybe stop making **** anime for once...

Nevertheless, I do understand how some people like you may not like it. In either case, a decision of engagement has to be made on what u wish. Knowing the world is certain way, what is ur tolerance. Again, because you (anyone) do not own the Internet, some tradeoff of conflicting rights are inevitable.

Yes, I know this sounds like an apology/excuse-making... As I see it, going to pre-1990s Internet is only solution. Else, u can never truley "be private"; only the illusion thereof. In other words, stay away from bad stuff.

• @thegrandalliance said in Why are you breaking your service/videos for those protecting their privacy?:

If u use the Internet, u should forget about privacy. There are countless ways to find you; just ask Snowden, worrying about such is hopeless and unnecessary. Just don't use technology, old school is best.

In terms of the list u printed, IDK to whom u are objecting to. If you object to everyone, IDK what the problem is; the site makes u accept a TOU upon first load/login.

Yes, privacy is generally a good idea; in 2017, it is pointless. But no matter....

Well not every one has the ability to do what happened to Snowden and people that do probably don't care about you in the slightest even less so what anime your watching. Website tracking is a little different. But you are correct if you want to make sure no one knows what your doing the only way is to not be connected to the internet at all.

• @Neco said in Why are you breaking your service/videos for those protecting their privacy?:

Is this case there is no "unblock brightcove player" solution. Since its blocking by URL from the hosts file it blocks everything that uses that URL. Even if funimation's use is harmless and strictly for player related functionality, I am not going to open myself up to data mining in countless other vectors just so I can watch anime on my computer (I almost never use a tablet except to test things)

I understand your concerns regarding privacy. When I hit my Ghostery button, with a video open in the background, right under "Advertising" I have an option to block or unblock "Brightcove" and "Brightcove Player". Just unblocking the latter usually does the trick, everything else remains blocked. Don't know how much of an privacy issue that really is. But maybe it is, not sure. Might just be some kind of glitch that gets fixed with the next Ghostery version. Once upon a time Ghostery did completely block Disqus for me and that changed too.

Edit: Nevermind, you're using something else, misunderstood your post there for a sec.

• @Neco said in Why are you breaking your service/videos for those protecting their privacy?:

@shadowolfz said in Why are you breaking your service/videos for those protecting their privacy?:

I use Ghostery to block website tracking, it blocks Bright Clove Player - https://apps.ghostery.com/en/apps/brightcove_player which is the video player, it keeps track of your episode and what not so Funny knows were you stopped and started probably while its being blocked by your software. Go unblock Bright Clove Player and it should work.

I fully understand sorry I cant help further. Guess you have to watch all your anime on a virtual machine...

• @thegrandalliance said in Why are you breaking your service/videos for those protecting their privacy?:

@Neco

When u first goto funimation.com, a popup message displays saying "we use stuff to track u" and there is a big red button that indicates "I accept". For various reasons (such as popup blocker), maybe u cannot see it.

What I am saying is, there is no way to stop private company "spying". Even if laws are passed, they find ways around. Or do it anyways. From a realism standpoint, there is nothing can do to stop everything; u don't control the T1 ISP cables funneling ur traffic around.

Yes, I don't particularly like it... But, simple use info should not be of concern for FUNImation in particular. What is worse case scenario? How will ur usage of FUNimation be used against you?

Because I "troll alot"; as u might guess, on various forums, I willfully volunteer info without concern. Almost like, building a brand of sorts. So I don't care if x knows I am watching y. Indeed, might be good thing; maybe stop making **** anime for once...

Nevertheless, I do understand how some people like you may not like it. In either case, a decision of engagement has to be made on what u wish. Knowing the world is certain way, what is ur tolerance. Again, because you (anyone) do not own the Internet, some tradeoff of conflicting rights are inevitable.

Yes, I know this sounds like an apology/excuse-making... As I see it, going to pre-1990s Internet is only solution. Else, u can never truley "be private"; only the illusion thereof. In other words, stay away from bad stuff.

The pop up you speak of is in regards to cookies. This is entirely different. You don't block cookies through a hosts file, you block URLs that are used to track and report telemetry whether its from advertising servers following you on a web site, or from a program you installed phoning home. But you know? Maybe it is related, I haven't dealt with cookies in years to be honest.

This is quite different though imho. This is not about my funimation watching habits being used against me - it's about forcing me to make a choice between losing the protection I desire from people OTHER than funimation, or having no funimation at all.

Imagine you are in an (open) relationship with someone and she's like "I'm clean if you wanna be with me you can't use a condom at all even with other partners". Does that make any sense to you?

• @Neco

Well, what I don't get us why u care ur FUNIWatching is being reported to (advertisers). Unless u simply against all ad profiles.

I assume they are doing this as part of long-term business strategy. Anime in USA has little metrics when compared to Hollywood. I suppose, if anime hits "critical mass" in metrics, maybe they hope to secure capital/investment. Or, someone buys them out.

As to ur example, I wouldn't know.... Anyways, I don't know what more I can help with. Personally, I just firewall IRL/Internet by simply not doing anything online; if I were to assume everything I did online would appear on CNN. So "privacy" doesn't matter to me, because I would not transmit any info I "care" about in first place.

But of course, does not mean I am not "exposed", either. Quite the contrary. It is more like, "risk management". Perhaps I just have veeeerrrry high tolerance for risk. I would say so. But no matter...

• I found the offending URL

s0.2mdn.net

It appears to be owned by Google but I don't like the implication its been associated with malware installers etc

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/youtube/FPBNhyDnmKU

• @Neco

Fair enough. I do draw the line at malware/backdoor attempts, however. Reason I never use Android for mobile. One thing if they simply follow ur IP address around (traffic monitoring; occurs outside ur network), another thing if they are actively hacking/gaining elevated privileges to ur computer.

But that stuff us already illegal; of course, again, doesn't stop them from trying, in either case.

• Two comments, in pictures...

alt text

alt text

• stay mad, nerd