How come the Concert songs for Castletown Dandelion and Ultimate Otaku Teacher didn't get dubbed?

• I was wondering why the Concert songs for Castletown Dandelion and Ultimate Otaku Teacher didn't get dubbed for the home video release? Did Funimation officialy cease its practice of dubbing any kind of singing? If yes, why?

Are more Japanese companies cracking down more, and no longer allowing foreign anime licensors to create any english adaptation of any of their songs or any singing whatsoever, and at the same time, not allowing the English voice actors to do any singing in anime whatsoever, as if the Japanese voice actors have the exclusive rights to sing in anime worldwide? Please answer my questions.

• @Spaceshotx7 You have asked this question so many times now, and we've given you every possible explanation that we can think of.

So from here on out, every time you ask about why the songs in a show did or didn't get dubbed, I'm going to link you to this Answerman article that Justin Sevakis wrote on the subject:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/answerman/2016-05-13/.101630

Nobody here on the forums can offer you any better of an explanation than that. Period.

• @SpacemanHardy I'm just concerned about Funimation no longer dubbing songs like they have in the past. I read the Answerman article many times. I feel like other studios don't do it because they are lazy, and don't want to even try, such as getting authorization, and then using the same dubbing technique as Funimation. I asked about these 2 titles, since I'm surprised because Funimation usually dubs songs sung onscreen for home video releases.

• In addition to what Answerman said, it depends on the production budget for the show.

• they have never dubbed all the insert songs that show up in shows. in the 20 years they have been dubbing, there have been shows with no dubbed songs. it happens, and its going to keep happening, so there's no need to start overreacting every single time a song or two is not dubbed

• @Getchman said in How come the Concert songs for Castletown Dandelion and Ultimate Otaku Teacher didn't get dubbed?:

they have never dubbed all the insert songs that show up in shows.

If I'm not mistaken, I think the recently released Show By Rock!! might be the first Funimation title where ALL the songs were dubbed. BECK: Mongolian Chop Squad almost counts as well, but they left the OP and first ED songs alone as they were already in English.

• @SpacemanHardy

right, but that's not really the point i'm making

• @Sophie what does the production budget have anything to do with insert concert songs being dubbed? Can you explain why those specific shows did not have the insert concert songs dubbed? I know when singing is done on screen during the episodes, Funimation dubs it most of the time in the past 10 years. Has anything changed from this year forward?

• @Spaceshotx7 said in How come the Concert songs for Castletown Dandelion and Ultimate Otaku Teacher didn't get dubbed?:

what does the production budget have anything to do with insert concert songs being dubbed?

If the voice director doesn't expect the show to pull in big sales, they might decide not to spend the extra money to re-record the song. Dubbing a song is a MUCH more expensive and difficult process than basic voice acting, and some shows just aren't worth the extra expense.

We've been trying to tell you this the whole time: Some shows get dubbed songs, most don't. That's just the way it is, and you're just going to have to get used to it. :|

• @SpacemanHardy said in How come the Concert songs for Castletown Dandelion and Ultimate Otaku Teacher didn't get dubbed?:

@Getchman said in How come the Concert songs for Castletown Dandelion and Ultimate Otaku Teacher didn't get dubbed?:

they have never dubbed all the insert songs that show up in shows.

If I'm not mistaken, I think the recently released Show By Rock!! might be the first Funimation title where ALL the songs were dubbed. BECK: Mongolian Chop Squad almost counts as well, but they left the OP and first ED songs alone as they were already in English.

Unless it's changed in the 2 weeks or so since I watched season 2 of Show By Rock, none of the songs were dubbed. Only the Season 1 songs were dubbed, the opening, ending and all songs sung in the show. But not season 2. Which only goes to prove that it doesn't get done all the time for various reasons I'm sure. I was actually surprised that they were dubbed in season 1 to be honest. The last time I remember hearing any dubbed songs in an anime was on my dvd copy of Gundam Seed, and even then only the songs sung by Lacus Clyne, not the OP's and ED's. From my experience it rarely gets done (and I'm just a no-nothing anime consumer :P )

• @lord_haw The only reason the songs in season 2 haven't been dubbed yet is because it's still a broadcast dub. The same happened with season 1 originally. I have faith that they'll do the same for season 2 when the home video release comes out.

• @SpacemanHardy So does this mean that less insert songs done on screen will be dubbed than they were 5-10years ago? Does this all have to do with the fact that because they are licensing more anime and doing broadcast dubs that they have to cut down on other things like dubbing less songs and dubbing less anime in order to save money? Is the reason why Sendai film works and most other licensors don't dub any kind of singing is because they can't afford to do so, as they are doing cheap dubs? Is it also the reason why Funimation is not using many veteran voice actors thes days?

• there is no significant difference in the ratio of songs dubbed and not dubbed now verses 10 years ago. it always has been and will continue to be a mixture of many factors. most important of all is, naturally, will they be allowed to do so. can it be done within the budget and on time and many other things that come into play during the dubbing process. when the Crunchyroll/Funimation partnership was announced, one of the things funi stated was that they significantly upgraded their dubbing budget. so that of course means they are prepared to spend the extra time and money that is required to get songs dubbed. assuming of course they are allowed to do so and can get it done on time.

I know you have read the blog posts that Caitlin Glass wrote about the process of dubbing music. it is a long and complicated process and you need people who know music. it is quite possible that Sentai, Bang Zoom, and other dubbing studios just don't have any of that, don't think its worth it or literally anything else we dont know about. Point is we dont have the answers you are looking for as to why they don't dub music. we dont know, probably never will.

The talent pool has greatly expanded. means more competition for roles. everyone gets paid the same regardless of how long they have been working

• @Getchman I wish there would be a west coast company using west coast talent that is as big as Funimation with doing more dubs, dubbing insert songs, and even doing broadcast dubs. I almost never get to hear the west coast voice actors sing in anime.

• @SpacemanHardy said in How come the Concert songs for Castletown Dandelion and Ultimate Otaku Teacher didn't get dubbed?:

@lord_haw The only reason the songs in season 2 haven't been dubbed yet is because it's still a broadcast dub. The same happened with season 1 originally. I have faith that they'll do the same for season 2 when the home video release comes out.

That's a good point. Never really thought about that.

• I also noticed that the insert singing in Episode 16 of Heavy object did not get dubbed for home video either.

Does Funimation no longer dub any kind of singing? Can't see why they stopped since love live sunshine? Are they just trying to adhere to Industry Standard practice where songs are left c ompletely untouched, and English VAs don't sing?

I hate it when all of you get impatient and Frustrated. I keep writing this because I am concerned that Funimation did quietly cease the practice of dubbing songs in singing scenes.

I thought I was assured that during a broadcast dub, when the songs weren't dubbed, then they go back and dub them for home video, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Anyway, I will be attending Anime Boston on April 2nd. Will I be able to talk to any Funimation staff there?

• @Spaceshotx7 The reason for not dubbing that song will be among the reasons you have been previously furnished with. And what "industry standard"? As far as the anime dubbing industry goes, Funimation is such a large slice of it you practically could call anything they do the "standard". As for "assurance", I can see @SpacemanHardy a few posts up saying that he was sure that the second season of Show by Rock would have the songs dubbed for the disc, but I see nothing about Heavy Object or indeed shows in general.

• @Shiroi-Hane

My little concern is that Funimation as of August 2016, from that day forward, no songs or singing in any singing scenes would ever be dubbed again, not even for Home video release. I know the singing scenes in Date A live II and Gonna Be The Twintails were dubbed, but since Love Live Sunshine Began simulcast, with the exception of the first season of Show By Rock and attack On Titan Junior High, no more singing was dubbed for Home Video release. Funimation had dubbed songs in singing scenes 90-95% of the time in the past for home video releases up until the summer 2016 simudub season, and then all of a sudden, it stopped for the most part, and I don't know why Funimation would quietly and suddenly discontinue such practice? I liked it when the English voice actors actually sung when they voiced their character roles, and I wish that practice would continue. I just don't know which is the real reason, is it because the Japan companies no longer give permission to make any English adaptations of songs, Is it because your now doing so many simudubs, that you no longer have the time and money to dub songs, or do you just no longer want to bother?

I also don't like Moderators and other members on the forums losing their patience over me discussing about this subject. I am autistic you know. Its not like I can just call Funimation and talk to someone about this over the phone, or if I go to Anime Boston this sunday, i'm not even sure I'll be able to talk to anyone from Funimation about this there.

I just don't like the fact that when I listen to anime dubs, most of the time, instead of the same English voice actor singing, you hear a squeaky, high pitched Japanese singer doing the singing.

I am asking for patience, and I like a calm, friendly explanation, with no disciplinary action for continuing to discuss this matter. I like Shiroi Hane, or any ADR director to follow up with this post.

• @Spaceshotx7

if you keep asking the same question over and over and you keep getting the same response, it makes it seem like you aren't paying attention, and that's why folks get upset with you. we have explained it to you as best as we possibly can on these forums and so have several ADR directors on twitter. several times. there is no other way to answer your questions, so why keep asking?

• @Getchman I keep asking because I noticed a pattern, and I want to know if anything has changed within the last year in regards to the practice of dubbing songs, which Funimation has been doing for over 10 years that's all. I just want to see Funimation continuing to dub songs in singing scens like they have been the past 10 or more years or so. I just don't see why to suddenly just stop.

• But they havent just suddenly stopped. Songs are still getting dubbed , you should definetly know this consudering how obsessive you are about this