Ao Oni: The Animation

• The creepy, horror game "Ao Oni" is getting adapted into a short-form comedy TV anime, as well as a feature-length horror film. I am sure many of you have played this game, or at least have heard of it. For those who haven't, Ao Oni, or Blue Demon in English, is a freeware, Japanese survival-horror game for the PC that features RPG, puzzle, and riddle mechanics. I find this announcement to be rather humorous. Lol Not something I would have expected, but I have to admit, I find myself excited nonetheless.

"The game first debuted as a free game released online in 2004. Although each version differs heavily from the others, the objective is always the same. Locked in a mansion, you explore and solve puzzles while running from an enigmatic demon. The game has become a phenomenon, spawning hundreds of fan-games, spin offs, an official novel, and two live-action films. Each game adds its own characters and monsters to the ever-expanding Oni universe."

The TV anime, which premieres this October for the 2016 Fall Simulcast Season, is titled Ao Oni: The Animation. In the original game, "a group of four friends investigate an abandoned, European-style mansion only to be pursued by a strange and terrifying creature." In the anime adaptation, "the human characters move in with the blue demon and have comical, everyday adventures as roommates."

Ao Oni: The Animation is being animated by Studio Deen, and will "feature an SD art style." While the TV anime series will be a humorous comedy, the feature length film will take a different route. Also animated by Studio Deen and titled Ao Oni: The Animation, the feature-length film, set to be released in 2017, will be a "traditional mystery horror," closer in style to that of the original game. The film will, however, feature an all new Ao Oni story.

"The artist kichi is adapting the original character designs by Kyuta Sakai (Steins;Gate, When They Cry - Higurashi) for animation. Kanekoke is supervising and writing the series scripts. The animation is credited to maxcaffy, Kagi, Poeyama, and Sena Makino. Shiyu Yanagida is composing the music, and Dax Production is producing the sound."

The staff for Ao Oni: The Animation - includes:

•Original work: noprops
    •Chief director: Toshirō Hamamura
    •Director: Chisei Maeda
    •Original characters: Kyuuta Sakai
    •Character design: kichi
    •Series composition & screenplay: Kanekoke
    •Animation: maxcaffy, Kagi, Poeyama, Makino Sena
    •Music: Shiyu Yanagida
    •Sound production: Dax Production Inc.
    •Animation production: Studio Deen

Also released were these character profiles, depicting the main cast of Ao Oni: The Animation (TV Anime):

Character Profiles:

Hiroshi

The rational protagonist who serves as the group's de facto leader.

Takurō

The life of the party and the group member who sets the mood.

Mika

The self-proclaimed heroine of the group (and arguably "the third cutest girl in class").

Takeshi

The most easily scared in the group.

Ao Oni

A blueberry-colored naked giant who appears in the uninhabited mansion on the outskirts of the town

Blockman Oni (Fuwatty)

A fast oni.

Ao Oni: The Animation (TV anime) premieres this October for the 2016 Fall Simulcast Season. Ao Oni: The Animation (feature-length film) premieres in 2017.

Poster for Ao Oni: The Animation, 2017 film.

Sources: (http://aooni.wikia.com/wiki/Ao_Oni_Wiki), (http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2016/08/10-1/spooky-ao-oni-horror-game-inspires-short-form-comedy-tv-anime), (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-08-10/ao-oni-horror-game-gets-fall-tv-anime-shorts-2017-anime-film/.105230)