Avatar: The Last Airbender & The Legend of Korra… not considered anime?

• I'm sure there has already been a debate about this topic, however, I feel like maybe it should be talked about some more. In my opinion Avatar: The Last Airbender and The Legend of Korra should be considered anime. So what if it was made in America. Is every animation created in America instantly labeled as a cartoon? Is the anime label only specifically for animation created in Japan? I mean Avatar: The Last Airbender and The Legend of Korra are definitely anime in my eyes. THEY'RE EVEN BASED ON ASIAN CONCEPTS!?!?! I'd like some peoples thoughts about this and why these shows should/shouldn't be considered anime.

• This topic has been talked about FOREVER, but as far as these forums go, if it's not made in Japan, then it's not really "anime".

It's not that we have anything against shows like Avatar, it's simply to help differentiate from where everything does and does not originate.

Hence, why we have a dedicated "Animation" forum here on the site, for anything non-Japanese and animated in nature.

Which is exactly where I'll be moving this thread, by the way. :)

• This post is deleted!

• @ChickenCatcher15:

Is every animation created in America instantly labeled as a cartoon? Is the anime label only specifically for animation created in Japan?

Yep

Just because it's influenced by something doesn't make it that thing. By your standards, Panty & Stocking isn't an anime because it's influenced heavily from Western animation

• @SpacemanHardy:

This topic has been talked about FOREVER, but as far as these forums go, if it's not made in Japan, then it's not really "anime".

It's not that we have anything against shows like Avatar, it's simply to help differentiate where everything does and does not originate.

Hence, why we have a dedicated "Animation" forum here on the site, for anything non-Japanese and animated in nature.

Which is exactly where I'll be moving this thread, by the way. :)

It is an "anime" as I already debunk this… You just can accept that b/c you all think on the fact if it not made in Japan it can't be an anime... -_- When Japan stated them self an Anime is basic on a "Style" not "Nationally"... MANY Japan people believe RWBY is in face an anime and it is... Hell that even made a Japan Version of RWBY in a Manga in Japan with Roster Teeth over seen it... And everyone in Japan counts RWBY as an anime just so you know... So I don't know WHY you all will just not admit you're wrong...

@Riles:

Yep

Just because it's influenced by something doesn't make it that thing. By your standards, Panty & Stocking isn't an anime because it's influenced heavily from Western animation

Lol yet Japan people all said your wrong… And have stated that it basic on a "Style" not "Nationally"... -_-

• @gohan6425:

Lol yet Japan people all said your wrong… And have stated that it basic on a "Style" not "Nationally"... -_-

They call all animation anime, as we've told you before. Americans are the only ones who seem to think there's no difference between Avatar and Naruto

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anime-influenced_animation

http://www.homejapan.com/japanese-words-1

• @Riles:

They call all animation anime, as we've told you before. Americans are the only ones who seem to think there's no difference between Avatar and Naruto

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anime-influenced_animation

http://www.homejapan.com/japanese-words-1

The Legend of Zelda is OWN by Nintendo and Nintendo made The Legend of Zelda in JAPAN so I guess EVERYTHING thing made by Nintendo is an ANIME then going by your logic… Guys that made is from Japan so Metal Gears is ANIME too b/c the maker of the video game is from Japan which make it an anime going by the dumb logic... Also MANY people in Japan view RWBY as Anime and have stated that it basic on a "Style" not "Nationally"... So no your wrong again... -_-

• @gohan6425:

The Legend of Zelda is OWN by Nintendo and Nintendo made The Legend of Zelda in JAPEN so I guess EVERYTHING thing made by Nintendo is an ANIME then going by your logic…

The Legend of Zelda is a video game series. I can't believe I have to tell you this, but the Legend of Zelda is a video game series

@gohan6425:

Also MANY people in Japan view RWBY as Anime

EVERY person in Japan views RWBY as an anime, because it's animation

• @Riles:

The Legend of Zelda is a video game series. I can't believe I have to tell you this, but the Legend of Zelda is a video game series

EVERY person in Japan views RWBY as an anime, because it's animation

I KNOW it a video game series OMG! I using it as example… If everything that is an anime HAD to be made in Japan then that means ANYTHING made by Nintendo IS an anime! Since ALL Nintendo things are MADE in JAPAN! -_-

• @gohan6425:

I KNOW it a video game series OMG! I using it as example… If everything that is an anime HAD to be made in Japan then that means ANYTHING made by Nintendo IS an anime! Since ALL Nintendo things are MADE in JAPAN! -_-

Nintendo makes video games. I can't believe I have to tell you this, but Nintendo makes video games. They don't make animation, they make video games. Anime is derived from animation, not video games. There is a difference between anime and video games and, until today, I never thought anybody under the age of 85 would ever confuse the two

• @Riles:

Nintendo makes video games. I can't believe I have to tell you this, but Nintendo makes video games. They don't make animation, they make video games. Anime is derived from animation, not video games. There is a difference between anime and video games and, until today, I never thought anybody under the age of 85 would ever confuse the two

Uh that have Pokemon the anime… -- Also it made in Japan and the video games can be view as an "animation"... So by your logic all the games a ANIMES! DEBUNK AGAIN! PS I know what Nintendo makes... --

• @gohan6425:

video games can be view as an "animation"…

Yes but they belong in a different more accurate category known as "video games"

I'm just gonna drop this video here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mQScjlXbBE

Btw i'm ultimateweeaboo15

• @darthrutsula:

Yes but they belong in a different more accurate category known as "video games"

I'm just gonna drop this video here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mQScjlXbBE

Btw i'm ultimateweeaboo15

It still an animation still so it would count…

• @gohan6425:

It still an animation still so it would count…

Using this logic, almost any visual art form would be an anime. You are wanting to use a term we have mutually agreed to mean one specific thing and have it mean something way more broad where it loses meaning.

Yes in Japan anime means animation because their language won't accommodate unlike english, one of the very few (if not only) "open source" languages where you can freely add and take away a word.

If you want to get really weird with it, just call it manga.

• @darthrutsula:

Using this logic, almost any visual art form would be an anime. You are wanting to use a term we have mutually agreed to mean one specific thing and have it mean something way more broad where it loses meaning.

Yes in Japan anime means animation because their language won't accommodate unlike english, one of the very few (if not only) "open source" languages where you can freely add and take away a word.

If you want to get really weird with it, just call it manga.

Again Japan people AGREE it an ANIME… Anime is basic on a "STYLE" so yes it is an anime going by that...

• @gohan6425:

Again Japan people AGREE it an ANIME… Anime is basic on a "STYLE" so yes it is an anime going by that...

But if they want to specifically refer to their stuff they'd call it manga!

• @darthrutsula:

But if they want to specifically refer to their stuff they'd call it manga!

"Manga" are Comic Book in Japan…

• @gohan6425:

"Manga" are Comic Book in Japan…

To an english speaking person yes.

To a japanese speaking person it also means cartoons that use the manga art-style.

Oh language how lovely you are.

• @darthrutsula:

To an english speaking person yes.

To a japanese speaking person it also means cartoons that use the manga art-style.

Oh language how lovely you are.

Uh it mean comic book though…

• @gohan6425:

Uh it mean comic book though…

WAIT!!!!!!!! You mean to tell me that one word can mean different things to different people? NO WAY!!!!!!

(By the way that would be the definition of connotation)

• Anime-inspired maybe…