Why Don't You Include OVA's In Your Box Sets? Fairy Tail

• I've been saving, and biding my time, to the Fairy Tail Collections you release, with the ENG and JPN versions. But why don't they come with the OVAs too? I was looking into it further today, and found that the only way to get the OVA DVD, at least on Amazon, is to buy the Japanese version, of certain manga volumes. And there's no information as to whether or not, the dvd comes with English subtitles, so that you can actually watch it.
    But this happens a lot on here, you'll list how many OVAs a series has, but never include them online. Except for Tenchi Muyo! where the series IS all OVAS.
    Why is this?

• because they come with the manga which means they are fare more difficult to license. Assuming of course they are even given the chance to license the OVA's

• @Getchman:

because they come with the manga which means they are fare more difficult to license. Assuming of course they are even given the chance to license the OVA's

Wait there an English Dub of OVA's Fairy Tail????????

• @gohan6425:

Wait there an English Dub of OVA's Fairy Tail????????

No, and there probably never will be.

• @Rejectedshadow:

No, and there probably never will be.

Well that dumb… That dub ova for FMA and others but not Fairy Tail??? WTF??? -_-

• @gohan6425:

Well that dumb… That dub ova for FMA and others but not Fairy Tail??? WTF???

Licensing for bigger shows is often harder.

• @NatsuForTheWin23:

Licensing for bigger shows is often harder.

That done it before…

• @gohan6425:

Well that dumb… That dub ova for FMA and others but not Fairy Tail??? WTF??? -_-

OVAs that get licensed for North America are typically OVAs that were bundled with the anime itself. Fairy Tail's OVAs are technically OADs, which are bundled with certain volumes of the manga and other special things. OADs are much more complicated to license and normally go unlicensed since they're tied to the manga rather than the show itself

The FMA: Brotherhood OVAs you reference were easy because they came bundled with the show's volumes

• @Riles:

snip

They also don't always add to the story and the show makers use it as an excuse to just have fun with the material.

Like fantasy jiggles.

• @Riles:

OVAs that get licensed for North America are typically OVAs that were bundled with the anime itself. Fairy Tail's OVAs are technically OADs, which are bundled with certain volumes of the manga and other special things. OADs are much more complicated to license and normally go unlicensed since they're tied to the manga rather than the show itself

The FMA: Brotherhood OVAs you reference were easy because they came bundled with the show's volumes

But if it an anime? Then HOW? Since the Anime is the same thing as manga just in an anime form???

• @gohan6425:

But if it an anime? Then HOW? Since the Anime is the same thing as manga just in an anime form???

Because it isn't tied to the series broadcast on television. It's based on the same story, and produced by the same studio, but it's not part of the television broadcast and isn't bundled with the television series. The manga and the anime are published/produced by two separate companies, so negotiating the rights to the anime doesn't mean you also get the rights to the manga, or whatever comes bundled with it

Like I said, the OVAs aren't tied to the anime in any way, so they would require an entirely separate deal to license, and history has shown that it is exceptionally difficult to license the rights to limited-run tie-ins to limited edition manga volumes

• @Riles:

Because it isn't tied to the series broadcast on television. It's based on the same story, and produced by the same studio, but it's not part of the television broadcast and isn't bundled with the television series. The manga and the anime are published/produced by two separate companies, so negotiating the rights to the anime doesn't mean you also get the rights to the manga, or whatever comes bundled with it

Like I said, the OVAs aren't tied to the anime in any way, so they would require an entirely separate deal to license, and history has shown that it is exceptionally difficult to license the rights to limited-run tie-ins to limited edition manga volumes

Ok but the if the same studio made it how can that not get it???

• @gohan6425:

because now there is a completely different production committee that funi has to negotiate with. a committee that may not even want to hold negotiations

• @gohan6425:

You are literally not reading what I'm saying so this discussion is over

• Gohan I'll try and explain this once.

The issues with Fairy Tail OVA's is manga licensing issues.

If the OVA's were included in Japanese DVD/BD's they'd be easier to license.

However, they were licensed as special editions for the mangas, which is a completely DIFFERENT company than the anime studio, which makes it much more complicated to license and not so readily available.

The simple answer: Licensing Issues. That's it. That's why they have not licensed/dubbed the OVA's.

• @classyspartan:

Gohan I'll try and explain this once.

The issues with Fairy Tail OVA's is manga licensing issues.

If the OVA's were included in Japanese DVD/BD's they'd be easier to license.

However, they were licensed as special editions for the mangas, which is a completely DIFFERENT company than the anime studio, which makes it much more complicated to license and not so readily available.

The simple answer: Licensing Issues. That's it. That's why they have not licensed/dubbed the OVA's.

Could that negotiation with the English manga compuy to alot then to get it so that could dub it?

• @gohan6425:

Could that negotiation with the English manga compuy to alot then to get it so that could dub it?

No?

I think no is what I want to reply, hard to read your broken english writing sometimes.

• @darthrutsula:

No?

I think no is what I want to reply, hard to read your broken english writing sometimes.

If the English Manga people are the one who could get the rights to the OVA… Can the Anime in this case Funi negotiation with the manga company for the anime OVA?

• Theoretically, yes.

In practicality, it's usually more trouble than it's worth.

• @gohan6425:

If the English Manga people are the one who could get the rights to the OVA… Can the Anime in this case Funi negotiation with the manga company for the anime OVA?

The english manga people have no interest in have no interest in the bundled OVAs.

The only ones who do would be Funi and while yes they could try and license the OVA but its a lot more trouble than its worth for one singular episode, and chances are the manga people aren't looking to sell them out. They bundle an OVA with manga to get more manga sales. Sometimes the anime is more like one big advertisement for the manga. They know the anime will flop but if the manga gets more sales and the anime did just well enough to break even then they won't have an interest in doing more.

Another thing is that at this point for Fairy Tail, the OVAs would be a waste of money since everyone who'd want to watch them could just google for them. Not that they are required viewing in order to fully appreciate the main series though. They usually tend to be just fun or maybe expand on some characters a little bit.

• The point of the OVAs is that they're packaged in limited edition prints of the manga, so it's extremely unlikely that they would be interested in licensing it out for mass production overseas