Forum is moving

• Hey, folks!

The new website is nearly upon us, so it's time to give some more information regarding the Funimation Forum.

1. The forum will change when our new website launches.
    2. We are changing forum software to NodeBB. It's very fancy.
    3. The forum's organization will stay mostly the same, but some of it will be condensed. Once I have a finalized list, I'll post it to this thread. The organization is done, but the names may change.
    4. Nearly everything is migrating over to the new forum - posts, post count, polls, etc. - but there may still be some data loss, so please save any posts you'd like to have on the new forum. Save your signature too.

If you have any questions regarding the new forum, I'll be happy to answer them here. Also, if you're a part of other communities that use NodeBB and there are features or plugins you like, please post them to this thread, so I can look into having them added to our new forum.

• @thegrandalliance:

WHEN SOPhIE, WHEN?!??!?

Soon(TM)

*Trademark Blizzard Entertainment 1995

• Probably after you leave.

• LoL, you guys… ye is so funnys. But no matter...

Speaking of WoW... I probably SHOULD check out the pre-launch event; meh... -_-

Also, hopefully the new smileys are not "the standard ugly yellow face things". 'Tis be a shame to give these ones up, it is so...

• This post is deleted!

• @priestesstyrande:

Edit: On topic-Looking forward to the new forms. I dont know what NodeBB is but ill look it up!

It's funky as hell… I was looking at their company site and "some examples"; and let us just say, they take the "social media layout approach overboard". It also let's the admins load in things/"apps", such as having an integrated Twitter feed into the forum; even could have a chat system, if desired.

IDK, perhaps I am simply "old school". In any case, me brain is gonna hurt for awhile using it as such, therefore...

• "NodeBB is a next-generation discussion platform that utilizes web sockets for instant interactions and real-time notifications. NodeBB forums have many modern features out of the box such as social network integration and streaming discussions. NodeBB is an open source project which can be forked on GitHub."

Sophie, this link looks like it is an excellent resource on utilizing NodeBB.
    Source: (https://media.readthedocs.org/pdf/nodebb/latest/nodebb.pdf)

On a serparate note, I guess I should start the long process of saving my posts. Lol Luckily I already saved the Dagashi Kashi Snack Guide awhile back based on TGA's advice.

• @priestesstyrande:

@thegrandalliance:

WHEN SOPhIE, WHEN?!??!?

Soon(TM)

When the new site launches. ~_^

• Please tell me you will be getting rid of this section in favor of just having an anime sub forum instead?

• @Rejectedshadow:

Please tell me you will be getting rid of this section in favor of just having an anime sub forum instead?

**+1111111111111111

@Sophie:

When the new site launches. ~_^

@Sophie:

https://youtu.be/gNIwlRClHsQ

• Each show will still have its own sub forum. I really can't win that battle. :hmm:

SHIKAAAASHI!

Now, there will be a scrolling or expanding list of all the show forums on the forum home page, which should make things easier to find and hopefully more active. They won't be grouped by letter. I only had to do that because it would kill vBulletin to have 400 show forums on the home page. NodeBB will, apparently, not have this issue.

• @priestesstyrande:

Soon(TM)

There is a reason I try to never use that word here unless there is absolutely no other way to word something. ^_^

• @Rejectedshadow:

Please tell me you will be getting rid of this section in favor of just having an anime sub forum instead?

Unfortunately the decision to revamp the show subforums is largely out of her hands. I don't think anyone who works with the immediate forums is particularly fond of it

• NodeBB forums have many modern features out of the box such as social network integration and streaming discussions.

As long as their usage is optional.

• Hey Sophie, thanks for the updates!

Do you think you can give me an idea of how soon we'll be switching? I ask just because I like to help run tournaments. Is thing going to drop in a just a few days? Weeks?

• @nubguy:

NodeBB forums have many modern features out of the box such as social network integration and streaming discussions.

I personally hope that we don't have to link our social media to comment on things.

1. TGA is trying to figure me out and the last thing I want is to let him win.

2. As a personal preference I don't like everyone knowing who I am.

• @darthrutsula:

I personally hope that we don't have to link our social media to comment on things.

I have to agree with this. I don't connect to a lot of popular social media sites which I may find interest in because it opens the floodgates to allow outside access to personal information. I get upset (using a socially acceptable term for what I'm really thinking) every time a contest requires social media comment, or a company says "contact via twitter" because they don't consider that some people don't want to put themselves out there whether for personal or security reasons. For businesses, it produces a public image. However, part of the advantage of communicating via the interwebs is being able to maintain a certain degree of anonymity while still enjoying social interaction on a topic of interest. Given the backlash in another current thread for similar reasons, I'm pretty sure that Funimation forum would feel an immediate negative change if social media were required for forum use. I definitely know that I wouldn't be visiting again. I'm not concerned with anyone seeing what I look like, but I use those for interacting with people I actually talk to regularly. Information there is nowhere near as "censored" for general viewing as I put on a forum.

• @darthrutsula:

1. TGA is trying to figure me out and the last thing I want is to let him win.

2. As a personal preference I don't like everyone knowing who I am.

1. I am not doing anything at the moment. I did recently conclude some "successful" research recently on other matters, but that was about it. For now, I have "bigger fish to fry"…

2. IDK why, are you "a fugitive of justice"? Or, is that just because you work at Walmart?.............. No matter............

and

3. If they ever did require that, just create a new "lighting rod account". That is, make a fake account used only for things like FUNImation. Then you remain untraceable, at least for awhile.

Remember, your pictures give you away fast... you can do boatloads with "GOOGLE Reverse Image Search"; so never post publicly indexable images that only you/small group of people have. Because Google will find it, I can backtrace it; cross-reference it with other people who post on the same page ("friends"); I know where you live quite fast.

....but you didn't hear me say that, of course....... Just a friendly, music singing robot; nothing to see here......

• Most of the communities that I've been a part of used either vBulletin or phpBB as their forum software. It doesn't hurt to try something new.

• @Zpace:

It doesn't hurt to try something new.

Famous Last Words…....

BTW, I noticed some of my posts on this thread are "magically disappearing", as it were....

• @7jaws7:

Do you think you can give me an idea of how soon we'll be switching? I ask just because I like to help run tournaments. Is thing going to drop in a just a few days? Weeks?

More than weeks. We expect the forum to only be down for maintenance for a few days up to I think a week before the switchover. Because most everything will be migrated, the tournaments could just be paused during that time right?

@darthrutsula:

No, you won't. It'll be just an option. The new site will give you the option to link a social account to your Funimation account or to sign up using a social account, so the new forum and the commenting system would need to have that ability as well. The site will only be as social as you want it to be.

@thegrandalliance:

BTW, I noticed some of my posts on this thread are "magically disappearing", as it were….

That was my bad. I thought it was a duplicate post because it was quoted directly underneath in another post and I deleted it.