Dub Talk Hangout

• Hello! This thread is for anime fans who want to talk about Funimation's recent English Dub Cast Announcements, simulcast shows, and other non-Funimation (Sentai Filmworks, Viz Media, Aniplex, Crunchyroll, etc.) anime titles.

Note from Lilac on Dub Talk format (8/3/16): "There are two kinds of Dub Talk episodes: Dub Announcements and Dub Reviews. Dub Announcements typically tackle a recent cast press release from any North American licensing company with some impressions on the dub, while Dub Reviews tackle an english dub that was released on home video. Licensing companies in North America can include FUNimation, Sentai Filmworks, Aniplex of America, Viz Media, Netflix, and Crunchyroll."

The Main Purpose of this Thread:
    -Post updates on any new Dub Talk videos
    -New announcements from Dub Talk members
    -Give feedback on Dub Talk videos
    -Make English voice actor/actress predictions on new seasonal anime titles
    -Just want to talk about anime or anything in general

Rules: (Dub Talk members are welcome to include more rules and edit this thread)
    -Please be respectful when posting in this thread
    -Please don't spam this thread
    -Please use spoiler tags if you're going to mention crucial plot points in certain anime

Type ">>" for spoilers:

Hi ^.^

-Have fun!

List of shows Dub Talk has covered:
    01: Free! Eternal Summer
    02: Attack on Titan
    03: Super Sonico, D-Frag, One Piece's Law!
    04: Assassination Classroom, Death Parade, Tokyo Ghoul Root A (Two Parts)
    05: Yurikuma Arashi, Yona of the Dawn, & Maria the Virgin Witch
    06: Danganronpa the Animation
    07: Noragami
    08: Blood Blockade Battlefront
    09: Seraph of the End
    10: Ultimate Otaku Teacher
    11: The Heroic Legend of Arslan
    12: Show by Rock!!
    13: Gangsta.
    14: Sky Wizards Academy
    15: Diabolik Lovers
    16: Parasyte
    17: Dance with Devils
    18: Shomin Sample
    19: Heavy Object
    20: DRAMatical Murder
    21: Terror in Resonance
    22: Snow White with the Red Hair
    23: Attack on Titan Junior High, Seraph of the End pt. 2, & Noragami Aragoto
    24: Prince of Stride
    25: Divine Gate
    26: Dagashi Kashi
    27: Fairy Tail Zero
    28: Pandora and the Crimson Shell
    29: Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash
    30: Dimension W
    31: Garo the Animation
    32: Your Lie in April
    33: My Hero Academia
    34: Rage of Bahamut: Genesis
    35: Shonen Maid
    36: Barakamon
    37: Netoge aka And you thought there is never a girl online?
    38: Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron Blooded Orphans
    39: Danganronpa The Animation
    40: Cheer Boys
    41: Servamp
    42: The Disastrous Life of Saiki K
    43: Love Live Sunshine
    44: Monthly Girls Nozaki-kun
    45: Danganronpa 3 Despair Arc
    46: Handa Kun
    47: One Punch Man
    48: First Love Monster
    49: Hunter x Hunter (2011)
    50: Izetta the Last Witch
    51: Keijo!!!!!!!!
    52: Drifters
    53: Orange
    54: Yuri!!! on Ice
    55: Kiss Him, Not Me
    56: 91 Days
    57: Nanbaka
    58: Brother's Conflict
    59: Mob Psycho 100
    60: Akiba'S Trip The Animation
    61: Fuuka
    62: Interview with Monster Girls
    63: Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid
    64: Ranpo Kitan- Game of Laplace
    65: Saga of Tanya the Evil
    66: SHIMONETA: A Boring World Where the Concept of Dirty Jokes Doesn't Exist
    67: Overlord
    68: Danganronpa 3-Future Arc
    69: Touken Ranbu: Hanamaru
    70: Berserk
    71: ACCA: 13 Territory Inspection Dept.
    72: World End: What are you doing at the end of the world? Are you busy? Will you save us?
    73: The Royal Tutor
    74: Love Tyrant
    75: Alice & Zoroku
    76: KADO: The Right Answer
    77: Diabolik Lovers More, Blood
    78: Sakura Quest (Feat. Arkada-Glass Reflection)
    79: Karneval
    80: Erased (Boku dake ga Inai Machi)
    81: New Game!
    82: Seven Mortal Sins (Dub Review)
    83: My Love Story
    84: GAMERS!
    85: A Centaur's Life
    86: Tsukigakirei - as the moon, so beautiful
    87: Little Witch Academia
    88: Himouto! Umaru Chan
    89: School Live
    90: Gosick [NEW]: 11/8/17

~Dub Talk Specials~
    00: Sub Talk: Dubs Are Ruining Anime (2016)
    01: Dub Talk Special: Fall Student Council Election Arc (2016)
    02: Dub Talk Special: Spring 2017 Lineup and Upcoming Projects (2017)
    03: Dub Talk Special: Fall Student Council Election Arc (2017) [NEW:] 11/10/17

~Dub Talk Interviews~
    01: John Swasey (PortCon Maine 2017)

~Dub Talk Classics~
    01: Ping Pong the Animation
    02: Fruits Baskets

~Summer at the Movies~
    01: Empire of Corpses
    02: <harmony/>
    03: Boy and the Beast
    04: One Piece Film Gold
    05: Sailor Moon R: The Movie
    06: Digimon Adventure Tri (Part 1)
    07: your name

~Dub Talk Presents: The Dubbie Awards~
    1st Dubbie Awards (2015) ~ [Dec. 30, 2015]
    2nd Dubbie Awards (2016) ~ [Feb. 11, 2017]

COMING SOON TO DUB TALK:

~Upcoming Episodes~
    ##: Okami-San and her Seven Companions
    ##: Hyouka
    ##: Blood-C
    ##: Princess Jellyfish
    ##: Yamada-kun and the Seven Witches
    ##: Anohana
    ##: Food Wars
    ##: Wolf's Rain
    ##: Star Blazers: Space Battleship Yamato 2199
    ##: Haikyu!

~Fall 2017 Season~
    ##: King's Game The Animation
    ##: Recovery of an MMO Junkie
    ##: Garo: Vanishing Line
    ##: Black Clover
    ##: Code: Realize ~Guardian of Rebirth~ (Ladies Night)
    ##: Juni Taisen: Zodiac War (OG Night)
    ##: Kino's Journey: The Beautiful World (Review/Comparison)
    ##: The Ancient Magus' Bride (Review)

[NEW]: ANNOUNCED 11/10/17

• For starters, here's our latest episode covering what is arguably the biggest show of the past season, My Hero Academia, starring our very own Classyspartan as well as our good friends Megan and Amonduul, and hosted by the ever-wonderful NoahClue:

! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQb4s_R_l4Y

Also, if anyone has a show with a dub that they want us to cover or review on DubTalk, by all means please let us know. We're currently pretty stacked with episodes that we want to do, but we'll look into doing whatever requests that we can. :)

• Totally just found out this is a thing, so will check it out more later when it isn't 11pm.

Anyhow, Shonen Maid seems to have a pretty good dub from what I have heard/seen. It does need more love in general too. I do see it as Ouran High School Host Club 2.0 (similar feel, but Madoka is totally Tamaki).

• @SpacemanHardy:

Also, if anyone has a show with a dub that they want us to cover or review on DubTalk, by all means please let us know.

FUNImation wise, it is too soon for that; as many have yet to even make it to dub status. In either case, you certainly have your work cut out this season.

• @korrailli:

Anyhow, Shonen Maid seems to have a pretty good dub from what I have heard/seen. It does need more love in general too. I do see it as Ouran High School Host Club 2.0 (similar feel, but Madoka is totally Tamaki).

We have indeed recorded an episode for Shonen Maid (which I hosted, in fact) and it'll be debuting soon! ^_^

• @SpacemanHardy:

Also, if anyone has a show with a dub that they want us to cover or review on DubTalk, by all means please let us know. We're currently pretty stacked with episodes that we want to do, but we'll look into doing whatever requests that we can. :)

Is it correct that you guys primarily cover Funimation dub shows each season? With Crunchyroll now coming out with dubbed shows soon, does that open up the possibility for you guys to start covering their dub shows as well?

One series I think would be awesome for dub talk would be Berserk, since you could start off with the 1997 anime series or the 2012 movie trilogy and then move on to the new show. There is a lot of cool material to cover there, if you all can handle the content. Lol Another good one would be Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress once that dub is released.

• Huh, well that's a honest to god surprise to me. Hell Hardy and I were discussing just making a thread archiving all the vids we got at some point but I appreciate that you just went ahead and made a thread on your own. I got to say, honestly kind of flattered my man.

Yeah our last episode to go up was My Hero Academia, one I was especially proud of how it ended up turning out. Word from the boss is that another episode is getting pretty close to completion, so we'll make sure to post that here once it goes up.

@nubguy:

Is it correct that you guys primarily cover Funimation dub shows each season? With Crunchyroll now coming out with dubbed shows soon, does that open up the possibility for you guys to start covering their dub shows as well?

One series I think would be awesome for dub talk would be Berserk, since you could start off with the 1997 anime series or the 2012 movie trilogy and then move on to the new show. There is a lot of cool material to cover there, if you all can handle the content. Lol Another good one would be Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress once that dub is released.

Broadcast Dubs give us a chance to get these recorded a lot sooner than we would have before. But we're not primarily just Broadcast Dubs by any means. The last 2 episodes before My Hero were GARO and Your Lie in April for examples, and we've got a couple of other episodes recorded of other shows that weren't Broadcast Dubs either. Especially considering Spring was kind of small in terms of shows it gave us a chance to go into the backlog.

Also with the Crunchyroll dubbing announcement news, that does open up some new possibilities, one of which may very well be an episode about Berserk 2016 whenever that dub comes down the line. I know some of the other guys are into Berserk so that's probably gonna be a conversation/episode in the forseeable future.

Also might as well say this now: We will NOT get to every single Broadcast Dub show every single season. This is a passion thing and sometimes we cannot get to every single Broadcast Show, and ESPECIALLY with the number of shows this season, we sure as hell aren't gonna get around to everything this season either. We'll try to get a majority but no promises.

@thegrandalliance:

In either case, you certainly have your work cut out this season.

That we do. That. We. Do…..

• @SpacemanHardy:

Also, if anyone has a show with a dub that they want us to cover or review on DubTalk, by all means please let us know. We're currently pretty stacked with episodes that we want to do, but we'll look into doing whatever requests that we can.

Oh I have some in mind for you guys to discuss about. :P

Confirmed dubs with no official voice cast announcement yet: Himouto! Umaru-chan, Food Wars, My Love Story!!, Kiznaiver (Aniplex got this title, so I'll assume they'll dub it)
    Shows that need a dub and I'm interested to hear what your predictions are: Re:Zero: Starting Life in Another World (Seeing how popular this show is right now, a dub could happen), Haikyu!! (Really surprised that this one is not dubbed yet, but it seriously needs one), Bungo Stray Dogs (I'm bummed that Funimation didn't picked this show up but would love to hear this one dubbed)

@korrailli:

Shonen Maid seems to have a pretty good dub from what I have heard/seen

I really enjoyed the Shonen Maid dub. Personally one of my favorite spring dubs from this past anime season besides My Hero Academia. In my opinion, the voice cast in Shonen Maid was unique.

@SpacemanHardy:

We have indeed recorded an episode for Shonen Maid (which I hosted, in fact) and it'll be debuting soon!

Looking forward in hearing what you guys thought about the dub!! :)

@nubguy:

One series I think would be awesome for dub talk would be Berserk

Do you have a dub cast prediction list in mind? :P

@classyspartan:

Huh, well that's a honest to god surprise to me. Hell Hardy and I were discussing just making a thread archiving all the vids we got at some point but I appreciate that you just went ahead and made a thread on your own. I got to say, honestly kind of flattered my man.

I think DubTalk is a really cool idea. Huge thank you to Lilac for coming up with the podcast series. I think dub fans should check out the hard work that all of you have done. They're really good and entertaining. One last thing, I'm a girl and not a dude. :)

• Here's our latest episode. Lilac, Sneebs, and myself cover Rage of Bahamut: Genesis!

! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAoM9WSaTzM

(apologies for the echo in the audio; we tried to clean it up as best we could)

• This post is deleted!

• Yay for awesome things that I should have done a long time ago!! Thank you ariocto for making this!! I just wanted to mention a couple a quick things, just for clarification sake, or for those who are just reading this and haven't seen many episodes of the podcast.

There are two kinds of Dub Talk episodes: Dub Announcements and Dub Reviews. Dub Announcements typically tackle a recent cast press release from any North American licensing company with some impressions on the dub, while Dub Reviews tackle an english dub that was released on home video. Licensing companies in North America can include FUNimation, Sentai Filmworks, Aniplex of America, Viz Media, Netflix, and Crunchyroll. The last three, we have not had a released episodes for yet, but there are a few in the works. There currently isn't a release schedule for episodes because of the backlog that has been built and we're working on releasing them as soon as they are done. Especially since the summer broadcast dub season in really starting up now. But, just as a small heads up, cause I slightly feel like I owe you guys info on what episodes are in the works, here's what I can tell you in terms of the backlog we have:

Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun
    Shonen Maid
    Netoge
    Hunter X Hunter
    Gundam: Iron Blooded Orphans
    Barakamon

These are at least the episodes that have been recorded and are in the editing process. Some recordings go back as far as April, so bare with us while we bust these all out for you guys!

In terms of planned episodes, suggestions, etc, yes please feel free to make any and all suggestions! While we may not cover every last one of them, since editing is a tedious process, we'll do the best we can in trying to get to them. I can say that some of the suggestions made already are being heavily considered, and I know there are some that, if they were to be dubbed, people would jump all over to talk about. cough Haikyuu cough cough. In terms of much older dubs, such as 1997 Berserk, it's something to consider. I know Hardy, Megan, and I have casually tossed around the idea of talking about Fruits Basket once or twice since it's been about 15 years since it first aired in Japan. AND I will also say an Escaflowne episode is in the planning stages since the FUNimation release is coming in the next few months. So it's not completely out of the realm of possibility… ;)

Again, if you have suggestions, questions, etc please feel free to voice them! Feedback is always welcome and it's fantastic to know that everyone really enjoys this podcast! The team we have puts a lot of love into this and we enjoy hearing your guys's enjoyment just as much as ours when we make the episodes! Here's a couple quick big questions I wanna mention right now before I finally stop being to long winded, cause I can be XD

1. Are there just audio versions of the podcast?
    As of now, no. I have been trying to see if they can be posted to SoundCloud so people don't have to use huge amounts of data on their phones for YouTube. The only issue I've run into with this is that it costs a monthly fee in order to get unlimited space to upload audio to SoundCloud. As an adult with bills to pay, I can only do so much. I personally have a Patreon page for my channel which includes a milestone that provides the audio versions on SoundCloud. If this is something that interests you and you would love to give a helping hand, please feel free to let me know! Or if you look in the description of the newest episodes, you should see a link there.

2. Can we see what the Dub Talk members look like?
    Yes and no. A decent amount of the crew already has some kind of YouTube channel, myself included, and we make videos so you can see what we look like. However, not everyone does this nor is everyone entirely comfortable with putting themselves out there. For the sake, and out of respect, of everyone's privacy, Dub Talk will not showcase the faces of those in the episodes; neither as a video or as just a picture. I do not ever want to place hosts and guests in a position where their privacy is lost or in one that may become dangerous. Let's face it, the internet is a scary place sometimes; and while some of us are fine with putting ourselves out there, others are not and I respect that wholeheartedly. Please do not ask for this to change, and please be respectful to everyone's desire for privacy.

Ok. I'm done. I'm just gonna go bookmark this thread for safe keeping and call it a night!

• This post is deleted!

• @Lilac:

Yay for awesome things that I should have done a long time ago!! Thank you ariocto for making this!!

First off, Welcome to the forums, Lilac!! ^_^ It's nice to meet you here in the forums! Again, just wanted to thank you for coming up with the series. I think Dub Talk is a great idea because it's entertaining and it leaves viewers (like myself) doing English dub cast predictions on all sorts of anime (like right now, I'm working on Re:Zero because I'm really enjoying the show :D). Dub Talk is also great for the voice actors and voice actresses. They can hear all sorts of anime fan feedback as well as give them some idea on what they can improve on with their performances for any future projects. :)

@Lilac:

In terms of planned episodes, suggestions, etc, yes please feel free to make any and all suggestions! While we may not cover every last one of them, since editing is a tedious process, we'll do the best we can in trying to get to them.

Out of curiosity, how many members does Dub Talk have?

• @thegrandalliance:

"Privacy", and "large-scale Internet exposure"; are mutually exclusive concepts, so you know…

In "English", that means you shouldn't expect for anyone to watch your stuff if your "fears" keep you hidden from the world. Part of audience connection is simply having a "personal relationship" with other humans, as sort of a leadership situation; to hide from this, is to deny basic human emotions.

In English-English: If you want "more than 5 people watching your show", don't be cowards...

Dub Talk's pretty much meant to do done audio format anyways. It's a podcast after all.

Every other little detail that's added into the visuals like casting predictions and all that jazz takes a lot of extra time to do. Hell the show could've easily just been audio only but Lilac and some of the people that help with editing these episodes put a lot of extra work into doing that. Remember this is a passion project and we're all doing this free time. We can manage audio, but managing a visual component for things like webcams being added into the mix is a boat load of trouble as not everyone's got the most stable connection, it's a whole of extra work in the editing process and like she said, every person in the crew has different standards when it comes to their image. Some people are cool, others are not. Besides, at its heart Dub Talk is mostly just audio with a lot of extra goodies in terms of prediction segments thrown in by Lilac who works hard to edit.

Simply put it's a lot of extra trouble in general that most of us agree isn't really that big a deal to include. Point being that we are always open to criticism but the video component including webcam stuff is a whole lot of extra trouble that we kind of feel isn't worth the hassle in the end.

• Ah ha! Finally got this forum thing to work.

Anyways as I'm quick replying before bed let me say this; I do not like showing my face all that much. I get for some reason TGA you can't wrap your mind around wanting to have some semblance of privacy and being internet famous but I works out.

I do not add fans from my other gig, a channel I'm on with over 300k subs unless I've met them in real life. I do not like to show my real face alot. I'm very insecure and I've been harassed for my looks. Hell I've had a photo of me stolen and used on a blog shaming cosplayers.

So do me a favor and show me respect. No means no.

• @thegrandalliance:

"Privacy", and "large-scale Internet exposure"; are mutually exclusive concepts, so you know…

In "English", that means you shouldn't expect for anyone to watch your stuff if your "fears" keep you hidden from the world. Part of audience connection is simply having a "personal relationship" with other humans, as sort of a leadership situation; to hide from this, is to deny basic human emotions.

In English-English: If you want "more than 5 people watching your show", don't be cowards...

But that's a big reason people show up on podcasts in the first place. You can keep a degree of anonymity and slowly shed it at a pace you feel comfortable with. It's the reason I'm able to be a part of Dub Talk in the first place. Allow me recount a personal story. I have severe social anxiety, to the point even calling a restaurant to order take-out can be an issue. Hardy's been asking me to be on the podcast pretty much since he became a part of it. And for the first couple episodes he invited me to be a part of, it was not something I was physically capable of doing. But the time eventually came when I mustered up the confidence to say yes. Sadly my first episode cannot be completed due to technical issues with the audio (Prison School), but eventually a slot in the Heavy Object and Parasyte episodes was offered and I accepted. I've ended up on all but a handful of the Toonami episodes, and two of the upcoming episodes (Netoge and Gundam) ended up my hosting debut. My hope is to one day get some lessons under my wing and become a full-fledged voice actor. But that's not a goal I can get to where I am now, I still have some more growing to do.

Point is, it took a lot of effort to bring me into this show, and everything I've accomplished on it took baby steps before learning to walk. And that's why at this time I'm not comfortable showing my face. I'll get there, but I'm not ready at this time. So I'm going to have to ask that you respect my privacy and the privacy of the other members of the podcast who do not wish to show their faces either. They will do so if and when they are ready.

Thank you.

• This post is deleted!

• @thegrandalliance:

I never said any of us were cowards. Everyone has their preferences and reasons for retaining their identity. So calling us cowards are your words, not mine, and I do not appreciate it at all. This is a podcast, not a livestream or a standard video. As Spartan put it, the visuals are just an extra touch. I could be extremely lazy and post an episode's audio and maybe just an image for a background and call it a day, but I like going to extra mile and adding predictions and characters and everything else in there as a kind of place holder or bookmark. I've heard from dozens of people telling me that they can listen to the podcast while at work or doing errands or even in the car! That's perfectly fine! IT'S A PODCAST! I's meant to be listened to. DO NOT EVER refer to any of my friends and Dub Talk team as cowards and DO NOT EVER ask for us to show our faces. It will not happen during the podcast, EVER. If you're worried about the podcast our watchability and having "more than five people" listening, then check the views on each episode. For a little podcast that's been doing this for a year and a half now, we're doing just fine. Please be much more respectful towards the decisions and process of this podcast. Thank you.

On a lighter note!

@ariocto14:

First off, Welcome to the forums, Lilac!! ^_^ It's nice to meet you here in the forums! Again, just wanted to thank you for coming up with the series. I think Dub Talk is a great idea because it's entertaining and it leaves viewers (like myself) doing English dub cast predictions on all sorts of anime (like right now, I'm working on Re:Zero because I'm really enjoying the show :D). Dub Talk is also great for the voice actors and voice actresses. They can hear all sorts of anime fan feedback as well as give them some idea on what they can improve on with their performances for any future projects. :)

Out of curiosity, how many members does Dub Talk have?

I'm glad you're really enjoying the podcast!! It's a fun project that, personally, I love doing despite all of the, sometimes, tiring work it brings! It's funny you mention voice actors too, cause we have had some kind of confirmation here and there of certain voice actors listening to the podcast, so it kinda keeps us on our toes in terms of making sure we don't make complete jackasses of ourselves XD

As for members, let's see here. Myself, Hardy, and Megan (Queenira) are the three main hosts, or original goats as we like to joke about now, then we have NoahClue, Roots, Jet, Gigi, Jamal, Andrew (ClassySpartan), ZenithWillRule, Amon, and Sneebs as the rotating group of cohorts. Then we also have occasional guests that join in like PikaHikariKT, LacTheWatcher, Shannen, DresdenNova, and MrSubarashi. So, all in all, at least 12 main group members.

• @thegrandalliance:

the basis of 2016 human civilization: Or Trump would never have been the RNC nominee to begin with

See how far we've fallen! ;P

• @TGA : Dude I have an avatar that looks nothing like me for Anime Americaand yet I still can build an emotional connection with fans. Sure pictures of me do exist out there but your fixation with wanting to see us borders on downright creepy. Frankly I feel like you're purposefully finding bones to nitpick with all of us. Do you honestly not have something better to do with your life?

Also I find it highly hillarious you're begging all of us to show off your lovely faces and yet miss Miku is currently your face. If you wanna call all the kids out to play at least step up to the plate first.

• @Queenira:

Ah ha! Finally got this forum thing to work.

Hi Queenira!! It's nice to see you here in the forums! Welcome! :)

SOME people need to read the Funimation forum rules. This thread is meant to be interactive and fun. :(