This discussion thread would be about the probable would-be Straw Hat crew members in the future. (Note: Nakama means various of words in English, in this case, it means crew mate)
This mostly leans on the manga.
Some of you may remember Luffy stating that he will gain ten crew members (excluding himself) before he reaches the Grand Line. (Although this was clearly discarded, only having four crew mates, namely Zoro, Nami, Usopp, and Sanji.)
Anywho, it's a good guess that Luffy would have at least ten crew mates before he reaches the final island at the New World, where the One Piece was supposedly hidden.
Now, currently in the manga, the Straw Hat crew are almost at the peak of the Fishman Island Arc. OP fans all over the internet are convinced that a new "nakama" would be gained here.
As a result, debates have been set up all over on who would join the Straw Hats, would it be a merfolf or a fishman?
These characters are mostly debated (and have strong arguments) that they would join the Straw Hats:
- Princess Shirahoshi
- Former Shickibukai/Warlord of the Sea Jinbe
Each and everyone of them has their pasts revealed, especially Shirahoshi and Jinbe.
A recurring theme for the would-be SH character is the revealing of a tragic past and their goals.
All of the Straw Hat Pirates lost a loved one:
- Luffy: Sabo; to be King of the Pirates
- Zoro: Kuina; to be the Best Swordsman in the World
- Nami: Bell-mère; To draw the first map of the world
- Usopp: His mother and the absence of his father, Yasopp; to be a brave warrior of the sea like his father
- Sanji: His real parents; to find the All-Blue
- Chopper: Dr. Hiluluk; to cure any disease
- Robin: The Scholars of Ohara and her mother, Nico Olvia; to find the Rio Poneglyph and to discover the true history
- Franky: Tom; to create the dream ship and to travel with it throughout the world
- Brook: His crew mates and friends/captain; to return to Laboon
In Shirahoshi and Jinbe's case:
- Shirahoshi: Her mother, Otohime; Before she died, Otohime announced that the mermaid who can control the Sea Kings will meet a guide who will help her change the world, with the guide presumably Luffy
- Jinbe: Fisher Tiger; to continue on Fisher Tiger's goal of "freeing the oppressed and not becoming cold-blooded murderers"
Some characters are also speculated to join:
Madame Shirely: Her fortune telling skills would come in handy; Luffy made her mad in a comical way
Caribou: Is currently with the Straw Hats. I doubt this. He wants to kill the SH, but no one know what goes on in Oda-sama's mind...
Characters that are speculated to join, but as the story line progresses/ed, it becomes/came doubtly:
- Boa Hancock
So, who do you think would be the next nakama? (Btw, if a new crew mate is recruited, he/she would be number 9, excluding Luffy)
No one knows if they would get new crew members...yet.
In my opinion, Jinbe would be the best candidate. Shirahoshi's past is faithful to the layout of SH pasts, but...SHE"S TOO BIG.
If she were to join the Straw Hats, they would need a bigger ship that the Thousand Sunny, which would destroy Franky's dream. She could just tail the Straw Hats, traveling in water.
Another is that Shirahoshi is too attached to her family and vice versa. She also has little fighting skills other than controlling Sea Kings.
So yeah. Jinbe. He's strong. His past is tragic. And he can be a helmsman.
Well so can be Hatchan...