Deadman Wonderland is a really great series, but seems luck is not on it's side, because anywhere it get's released, the distributor responsible does everything for it to fail.
In Japan Kadokawa released the series too soon after the tragedy, so for obvious reasons it failed. I mean, if (sorry for the example) terrorists would blow up half of Washington DC with a suitcase nuke, how many people would want to buy 3 months after a tragedy like that, an anime where the story evolves around Washington DC being destroyed/blown up? I don't think many would buy it or at least it would drastically effect the sales.
At least I don't see any other reason why this fwseries failed so big in Japan, since others with worse story and characters did better.
I was really happy that it will get an US release, so I pre-ordered, but the bad luck follows Ganta and Shiro from Japan and 2 things have already been set in motion to decrease US sales:
1) Kadokawa did not sell the Blu-Ray rights for this series, so unlike other Funimation releases, this will be a DVD only release. I am okay with this, but many are not.
2) The box cover designed by Funimation is terrible. REALLY terrible, I mean look at this:
After I've seen the series 2 times already, I have to say that this cover is terrible.
1) Too many evil smiley faces
2) Important characters are missing from the front cover, like Takami Yō, Makina and Tamaki Tsunenaga
3) If they put a supporting character like Kiyomasa Senji on the cover, why not put Takami Minatsuki/Hummingbird on the cover too? Senji and Minatsuki has about the same screentime and both of them have the same amount of fans.
4) Why is the main antagonist of the story, Wretched Egg/Red Man missing from the front-cover?!
5) This series is a horror/action series with many blood and gore, so why is the box so colorful?
6) The main subject of the story is blood, so why isn't the dominant color red, but instead yellow?
The box designs are usually good, but this is a terrible work from the box designer.
Long story short: important characters are missing and the box has the design of a kids show.
Great series, but really unlucky....