post in the forums, peep behind the
scenes exclusives, and so much more!
Page 2 of 3 << 123 >>

Thread: Dub expectancy

Quote Originally Posted by schwartzwald View Post
    So? Japan is secondary to Disney. Hell, most Disney Animation Studios films tend to have better French, German and British grosses than Japan. Japan would only be primary for Pixar movies, as it is the 2nd largest market for those movies. Dubbing/Subbing simultaneously would prevent stuff such as fansubbing. Isn't that smart? Also, by the time the film is dubbed, people would have already seen the film. The film's hype would have died out long ago. If the Japanese want to prevent illegal fansubbing, they should just allow their films to be dubbed/subbed just after the initial release.
    Look into the fears Japan has of reverse importation and the insane prices they try to sell their anime for, fear of American fansubbers is a small issue to them (mostly fansub groups just screw over American fans).

Quote Originally Posted by St0ck View Post
    Look into the fears Japan has of reverse importation and the insane prices they try to sell their anime for
    To expand on this: Japanese buyers spend, on average, six times the amount of money a North American buyer does on a single season of anime, so a lot of Japanese companies really fear reverse importation from NA to JP because it's much, much cheaper to import than to buy it straight from Japan

Why'd you have to explain it to him Riles... it's almost like you didn't expect him to actually look into the points he was arguing.

Dub Exectancy on: "Saint Young Men: The Anime Movie"

actually, I've always had in mind of a dub expectancy on Saint Young Men or Saint Oniisan(if it get's quite popular or something lol) but yeah, but I don't know what y'all would think about it? any opinions?

With the whole reverse importing snafu , would NA licensing companies not just be able to come to some arrangement to release a north american (english ) copy of whichever show with NO japanese track or subtitles included ?

Quote Originally Posted by tattooedangel View Post
    With the whole reverse importing snafu , would NA licensing companies not just be able to come to some arrangement to release a north american (english ) copy of whichever show with NO japanese track or subtitles included ?
    Sentai did that with their Persona 4 Blu-Ray release. that didn't turn out very well

Quote Originally Posted by Getchman View Post
    Sentai did that with their Persona 4 Blu-Ray release. that didn't turn out very well

Well .... i would put more of the blame on Persona 4 being garbage as a show (In my opinion anyways) rather than language preference .

regardless of how you feel about the show, the people who did care still raised an almighty uproar at the English only BD release of the show. doing that again would not be a wise business decision
    Last edited by Getchman; 05-02-2014 at 02:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tattooedangel View Post
    Well .... i would put more of the blame on Persona 4 being garbage as a show (In my opinion anyways) rather than language preference .
    Yeah no pretty sure you're wrong there.

*shrug* i just buy the stuff, don't know squat about what show's did poorly for what reasons (nor do i reallly care tbh , i like what i like and the rest of the world can get on by itself) , I'm just happy to see more shows getting dub releases !!! Ben-to !!!

Page 2 of 3 << 123 >>