post in the forums, peep behind the
scenes exclusives, and so much more!
Page 46 of 46 << ... 10-->3643444546
    Is Crystal still too early in to get an idea of what it's like? I'm surprised it's only in the middle of your list.

Quote Originally Posted by 7jaws7 View Post
    Is Crystal still too early in to get an idea of what it's like? I'm surprised it's only in the middle of your list.
    It might be a little early yet to say for sure since only 5 of 26 planned episodes are out (and they are only the introductory parts of the story), but I've been very underwhelmed by Crystal.

I'm sure you've seen images of the off-model art too, and the big flashy transformation scenes are poor CGI. Episode 5 was actually pretty good with the art, but the other episodes didn't fare as well. I guess we'll find out with the next couple of episodes if they're stepping up and working harder to keep the art consistent. Takeuchi's designs are pretty, but they didn't transition that well to the anime.

I really liked the manga. I also loved the original anime (still waiting for Viz's streams to reach where I last left off in SuperS). I was expecting to love Crystal (it was my top pick for summer), but it's just not working all that well. The goal of the project is to be faithful to the manga and appeal to people who are already Moon fans, but the result feels kind of cold and lifeless.

A couple of fun filler episodes would be great and let us spend some time with the characters. (and Toei needs to work on the art and animation)
    Last edited by Firefly; 09-08-2014 at 10:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    The goal of the project is to be faithful to the manga and appeal to people who are already Moon fans, but the result feels kind of cold and lifeless.
    They say they want to stay faithful and make it for the original fans, but what they really want is to bring in a new, younger audience - hence the flashy animation. Hope it works out though; still plenty of time.

Quote Originally Posted by 7jaws7 View Post
    They say they want to stay faithful and make it for the original fans, but what they really want is to bring in a new, younger audience - hence the flashy animation. Hope it works out though; still plenty of time.
    Maybe, I certainly can't speak for them and their true intentions. But Toei already has Precure, and Crystal is a web series that only gets new episodes twice a month. I just doubt that people who aren't already fans of some sort, whether it be the original anime or the manga, would stick with it. I would have a hard time recommending Crystal to non-fans. The animation isn't really that flashy or impressive either, average at best, it just happens to have a shiny new coat of paint (slapped on the very 90s manga character designs that they have trouble keeping on model) and some bad CGI transformations that should really have been nicer. The impression I get is that they are aiming at people who grew up with Moon, people who now would have jobs and enough disposable income to splurge on the LE BDs and new merchandise (which happens to mostly stick with the original anime's designs at this point, but maybe we'll see more Crytsal designs by the end of the year/start of next year).

I do hope that things work out for them in the end.

Page 46 of 46 << ... 10-->3643444546