post in the forums, peep behind the
scenes exclusives, and so much more!
Page 3 of 6 << 123456 >>
    The art looks pretty much the same as it is in Attack on Titan. I guess that would be more of an opinion though. I'm sure if there's a difference I'm not seeing, someone else might. As for the story, it's interesting, but a little slow to start. So far, only 3 chapters are out I believe and I don't know how long it's going to be so it might just be building up right now.

Rightstuf.com has the first Before the Fall and Junior High volumes for pre order along with the 12th volume of the original

Okay, I got volume 11 in the mail finally so I was able to read that and then jump to Crunchyroll's simulpub chapters to get all caught up. :D I must say, I'm even more excited that Sentinel is making scaled figures of Erwin and Hanji now. I need them both to go with my Levi collection.

Spoilers through chapter 54.

So it looks like Reiner, Bertolt, and Annie really were after what Eren's dad took and then gave to Eren. This new power is a little... well it'll take some digesting. People turning into to Titans, yeah okay, but Eren's outright controlling them. Though I think it's safe to say they were likely developed as weapons so it shouldn't come as too much of a surprise that somebody is able to control them like that. Some of the panels were hard to tell what was happening (the ones with Eren and Reiner fighting for the most part). Those poor MPs finally having to see and fight Titans.... Okay, I don't feel bad for them at all. They finally got to see first hand what it's like to venture beyond the Walls. The Survey Corps might have some strange folks in their ranks, but they're incredibly brave and dedicated, unwilling to let go of hope, whereas it seems like everyone else is content to live in fear inside the Walls.

When Hannes showed up again I was expecting that he'd get killed, but not against Smiley Titan. Mikasa's face when it looked like both she and Eren were done for... was different, but man if Eren doesn't get it now, and I suspect he doesn't.... Poor girl.

Erwin's so badass. Gets his arm chomped off. Keeps fighting. He's kinda weird too. The way he was smiling when Hanji presented the idea that all Titans are essentially just humans. Levi and the rest looked kind distressed, but nope, Erwin looked really excited.

Hanji continues to be my favorite female character. She can get so crazy when it comes to researching Titans, but is still very human and easy to relate to. I'm so very happy that it looks like she'll be able to work her magic on that guy who tortured and killed Nick. ...I kind of feel bad for the guy in a way.

And Levi's a lot more talkative now, so he wasn't lying when he told Eren that he does talk a lot, though at the time it was certainly because his squad had all been killed. He referenced more of his past as a thug, and I'm really excited for volume 1 of No Regrets to come out this summer. I continue to fail to see how somebody could claim that he doesn't care, because it's very obvious that he does with his actions and words, he's just not shouting about it like some of the others *coughErencough*. Granted, it's more obvious now than when he was first introduced, but even towards the middle and end of the Female Titan/Raid on Stohess arc his actions and words it was clear that he did care and was starting to become frustrated with Erwin. He's blunt, and can come across like a jerk, but he's not uncaring.

That plan to have Jean and Armin in disguises, oh poor Armin that had to have been traumatizing. But at least it worked and now the Corps is building more connections to help with their resistance against the Interior. Mikasa's so badass. Lord help anybody who gets in her way now. I'm curious who won that fight Eren was thinking about though. Annie or Mikasa? Personally I think Mikasa would have won since she's very skilled and strong, but Annie's techniques were perfect for use against someone stronger and bigger than her.

Looks like the focus is being pulled from the external threat to deal with the internal threat at the moment so hopefully more of what Reiner, Bertolt, and Ymir were referencing should start getting explanations.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Okay, I got volume 11 in the mail finally so I was able to read that and then jump to Crunchyroll's simulpub chapters to get all caught up. :D I must say, I'm even more excited that Sentinel is making scaled figures of Erwin and Hanji now. I need them both to go with my Levi collection.

Spoilers through chapter 54.

So it looks like Reiner, Bertolt, and Annie really were after what Eren's dad took and then gave to Eren. This new power is a little... well it'll take some digesting. People turning into to Titans, yeah okay, but Eren's outright controlling them. Though I think it's safe to say they were likely developed as weapons so it shouldn't come as too much of a surprise that somebody is able to control them like that. Some of the panels were hard to tell what was happening (the ones with Eren and Reiner fighting for the most part). Those poor MPs finally having to see and fight Titans.... Okay, I don't feel bad for them at all. They finally got to see first hand what it's like to venture beyond the Walls. The Survey Corps might have some strange folks in their ranks, but they're incredibly brave and dedicated, unwilling to let go of hope, whereas it seems like everyone else is content to live in fear inside the Walls.

When Hannes showed up again I was expecting that he'd get killed, but not against Smiley Titan. Mikasa's face when it looked like both she and Eren were done for... was different, but man if Eren doesn't get it now, and I suspect he doesn't.... Poor girl.

Erwin's so badass. Gets his arm chomped off. Keeps fighting. He's kinda weird too. The way he was smiling when Hanji presented the idea that all Titans are essentially just humans. Levi and the rest looked kind distressed, but nope, Erwin looked really excited.

Hanji continues to be my favorite female character. She can get so crazy when it comes to researching Titans, but is still very human and easy to relate to. I'm so very happy that it looks like she'll be able to work her magic on that guy who tortured and killed Nick. ...I kind of feel bad for the guy in a way.

And Levi's a lot more talkative now, so he wasn't lying when he told Eren that he does talk a lot, though at the time it was certainly because his squad had all been killed. He referenced more of his past as a thug, and I'm really excited for volume 1 of No Regrets to come out this summer. I continue to fail to see how somebody could claim that he doesn't care, because it's very obvious that he does with his actions and words, he's just not shouting about it like some of the others *coughErencough*. Granted, it's more obvious now than when he was first introduced, but even towards the middle and end of the Female Titan/Raid on Stohess arc his actions and words it was clear that he did care and was starting to become frustrated with Erwin. He's blunt, and can come across like a jerk, but he's not uncaring.

That plan to have Jean and Armin in disguises, oh poor Armin that had to have been traumatizing. But at least it worked and now the Corps is building more connections to help with their resistance against the Interior. Mikasa's so badass. Lord help anybody who gets in her way now. I'm curious who won that fight Eren was thinking about though. Annie or Mikasa? Personally I think Mikasa would have won since she's very skilled and strong, but Annie's techniques were perfect for use against someone stronger and bigger than her.

Looks like the focus is being pulled from the external threat to deal with the internal threat at the moment so hopefully more of what Reiner, Bertolt, and Ymir were referencing should start getting explanations.
    When does "A Choice With No Regrets" come out? I heard it had something to do with Levi's story

Quote Originally Posted by T.Frost View Post
    When does "A Choice With No Regrets" come out? I heard it had something to do with Levi's story
    Amazon and Barnes and Noble say late June at the moment, but Kodansha said August when they announced the license. :\ I guess time will tell which is correct. June would be awesome because I'm really excited to finally get to read more of it. I've only read the prologue which was maybe 15 pages with nothing really to it.

And yup, it's all about Levi and how and why Erwin got him to join the Survey Corps.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Amazon and Barnes and Noble say late June at the moment, but Kodansha said August when they announced the license. :\ I guess time will tell which is correct. June would be awesome because I'm really excited to finally get to read more of it. I've only read the prologue which was maybe 15 pages with nothing really to it.

And yup, it's all about Levi and how and why Erwin got him to join the Survey Corps.
    By prologue, are you talking about "BEFORE THE FALL" ?

No, there was a prologue chapter for No Regrets that was released around September (I think?) before the spin-off truly started in the following issue of Aria. It was really short, not much dialogue and a brief fight between Levi and some other guy.

I've yet to check out Before the Fall in any form yet. I'm honestly hoping my library has come to its senses and has been getting some Titan stuff so I can possibly check it out over the summer.

EDIT:

TRSI has No Regrets volume 1 listed for late June as well.
    Last edited by Firefly; 02-26-2014 at 11:07 AM.

So the new chapter is out.... Anybody else read it?

Erwin talking about his dad and the theory for why there aren't any records of history before humanity retreated behind the Walls was interesting. It was something that I had wondered about since oral history would have remained even without books. But with how interest in the outside world is taboo and books related to it were to be confiscated and destroyed, not to mention the impossibility of keeping people from talking.... memory alteration seems like a ridiculously possible idea. The government is very intent on making sure people remain wholly ignorant of the past and what's beyond the Walls, and technological advancement was also stomped out by the MPs every time (something I had wondered about as well). I guess it's easy to control people if they're ignorant. Cripple humanity and their attempts at freedom and progress in order to preserve your own comfy lifestyle.

And for the group being shocked at what Armin was saying.... It could probably work; yes it would come with a cost, but there aren't many (if any) paths to revolution that don't. He's right, they're criminals now.

And man, Krista's basically a princess. It's rough to put a girl as young as her on the throne, but with what she's been through she's likely more grown up than others her age.

New chapter is up on Crunchyroll. The ending was quite the surprise, to say the least, giving us Levi's full name at last (for those of you not up-to-date DO NOT look at his wiki page! At all. It has his real name in plain sight!).

And once again I wish the art was a little cleaner. I had to reread a few parts, but part of that is also because the dialogue felt a little strange in spots.

Looks like Levi might be related to Mikasa in some way given his surname is Ackerman. Wow, that was the highlight of the chapter for me. Though it could just be an adoptive name as well. And then that guy who killed Reeves was called "Captain Ackerman" by one of his subordinates so I guess he's related to them as well... He's either Levi's father or, again, Levi just adopted the surname from this guy. But Mikasa got her surname from her father, who doesn't look anything like Levi or this Captain Ackerman, so either he's not her real father or her father trained under this Captain Ackerman too (which begs the question as to why he was killed so easily)...

And if it turns out that he wasn't her real father and Captain Ackerman is, and he's also Levi's father... I would personally like this situation the most because it opens up room for emotional development for both Levi and Mikasa, and I fully admit that I would very much like a good brother/sister moment and bond for them. (I don't believe they share a mother -she didn't look old enough- unless Levi's younger than what Isayama hinted with the "surprisingly old" remark, so they'd be half-siblings at best, but if they do share a mother then it's likely she left Levi with Captain Ackerman and ran off to a new life -maybe pregnant with Mikasa and realizing that the Captain's not the type of man she wants as the father of her second child?)

Could also be that Ackerman is just a general name given to a group of people and this is just to stir up interest, Mikasa's mom did say "clan" when talking of that mark she tattooed/carved on Mikasa's forearm.

Anyhow, there's no way Levi doesn't know his own last name, that would just be ridiculous and I hope Isayama doesn't go that route. But it's also strange how no one else in the Corps mentions it, unless he's kept very quiet about it and never told anyone his full name. I have a feeling Erwin already knows though given how much he seems to trust Levi. He's not the type of man that would trust someone he knows nothing about. And I can think of a few reasons why Levi wouldn't have mentioned anything to Mikasa.

Gah, why can't the next chapter be out yet? I want to know how they're related!

I'll miss Reeves though. He was dead on about Levi. Awkward but with a good heart, he's just been through some really awful crap in his life. However he was very rough with Historia considering she didn't know she was royalty and to suddenly have that tossed at your feet is unbelievable, but I also honestly think she NEEDED something like that. She's been in this mopey "woe is me, my life sucks" mode for far too long. It seems like she's ready to focus again now. But yeah, I think that was a little too harsh of him even if ultimately he means well.

I'm also seeing people question whether Levi is a double-agent and working for Captain Ackerman.... I don't see it. Like Isayama would suddenly make the most popular character the bad guy in all this. I think that's even more unlikely than him being killed off at this point. Even if it does end up that the higher ups have very valid reasons for everything and they're not truly "bad guys", it would be strange for Levi to suddenly side with them. He was hiding behind the tree there during the whole thing, for one. If he were really in league with them, I doubt that would've been the case. Also, the whole "this is my fault this is happening" read to me like he [Captain Ackerman] knew Reeves was working with Levi, hence why he mentioned Levi in the first place, and blames himself for teaching Levi things that are now being used against him. Levi was a street thug before becoming a soldier, and given how the Captain seems to be a person of influence, I think it's very likely Levi ran off and left that life behind him. I doubt he'd have been living like that if he were still sided with the Captain.

And Anti-Personnel Control Squad.... Very interesting indeed. Someone's probably going to die in the next couple chapters, someone important and not just some minor side character, to show us how big and bad these guys are. Things certainly did pick up rather suddenly there at the end. Wasn't expecting Eren and Historia to ACTUALLY get kidnapped like that. I hope Captain Ackerman knows that a certain Mikasa Ackerman is far more dangerous than Levi Ackerman in this case.... I also find it kind of funny that Eren's the one taking on the damsel in distress role.

Ooooh, and maybe Captain Ackerman is the Ape Titan! Though I do wonder how anybody living within the Walls wouldn't know about 3D Gear, so maybe that's a stupid guess.

So, what's everybody else think of these latest developments?
    Last edited by Firefly; 04-08-2014 at 11:05 PM.

Is there nobody else following this series still?

In the latest chapter Eren mentioned a discussion between Ymir and Bertolt to Hanji that made her rush off to go see Erwin, I couldn't remember the details so I went back and reread it.

In chapter 47 they were talking about how Ymir ate one of Reiner and Bertolt's friends 5 years ago, and that's when she was able to turn back to being human (after wandering around outside the Walls for 60 years), but she doesn't remember anything about it. Bertolt comments that it was "the same for us", and either Ymir or Bertolt mentions that "Eren doesn't seem to remember either". Soooo, does anyone think that perhaps Grisha is dead and Eren ate him shortly after first gaining his Titan power 5 years ago?

What does everybody else think of this conversation? I hope that Hanji comes back soon to explain whatever sprung to mind after hearing that.

Page 3 of 6 << 123456 >>