post in the forums, peep behind the
scenes exclusives, and so much more!
Page 1 of 3 123 >>

Free anime at the theater in Houston

For the last few years, we have been fortunate enough to be able to enjoy anime at least once a week on the big screen, FOR FREE!

It's called Anime At The Alamo and it is a weekly screening of different anime. It is partially sponsered by FUNimation, meeting Tuesdays at 7: 30PM (usually done by 9: 30PM) at the Alamo Drafthouse theater in Katy, TX (just west of Houston). Each week shows different titles, from movies to 3-4 episode blocks of different anime titles. Admission is free (though you may want to arrive 20-30 minutes early for good seats). Some of the titles are mature rated so those under 18 may need a parent with them. Also, they serve food and alcoholic beverages here so be sure to bring ID if you wish to drink beer or wine while watching anime.

<br>

Upcoming FUNimation screenings for October:
    BLOOD C: THE LAST DARK OCTOBER 15
    SANKAREA OCTOBER 22
    <br>

It sounds like a good time but I don't live in Texas, so I can't enjoy the experience anytime soon.

But I will try to remember this event should I ever travel through Texas in the future.

I love Texas! IMHO TX is the best state in the union! I could not believe how clean the cities are! Houston it beautiful compared to Philadelphia PA where I live. The best part, I think, is that TX has so many barbecue houses, and the food is very inexpensive! I could not believe how much food you could get for the price of a cheesesteak here! Now you are telling me that I can watch anime for free when I'm there ta boot! Man I love Texas! Lots of pretty girls, too!
    <br>Getting sucked in, in a bad way, sucks! ; P

The schedule for November's free screenings is out.

Screenings are Tuesday's at 7: 30 PM at the Alamo Drafthouse on 531 South Mason Rd Katy, TX 77450 (just west of Houston)
    Anime at the Alamo screenings are FREE!

FUNimation titles showing will be:
    Good Luck Girl! - November 12th
    Wolf Children - November 26th
    <br>

Quote Originally Posted by dmguaragno View Post
    I love Texas! IMHO TX is the best state in the union! I could not believe how clean the cities are! Houston it beautiful compared to Philadelphia PA where I live. The best part, I think, is that TX has so many barbecue houses, and the food is very inexpensive! I could not believe how much food you could get for the price of a cheesesteak here! Now you are telling me that I can watch anime for free when I'm there ta boot! Man I love Texas! Lots of pretty girls, too!
    Too hot for me. Then again, with no income tax just think of all the additional anime that I could buy.

It's got enough "head in the clouds" lefty idealists to have all the anime that's worth having yet it has enough "head squarely on their shoulders" righty realists to keep it from going down the crapper. Why is Texas so much better than my state again?

I wish that I could have seen this movie down there with y'all. Since RightStuf still hasn't shipped it, I haven't seen the movie yet. Would have been perfect had I been able to attend lol.

Quote Originally Posted by sidereal_presence View Post
    Why is Texas so much better than my state again?
    Right now, I would say free anime in the theater is a pretty good reason. Through this program that FUNimation (and a few other anime companies) supports, I've gotten to watch the first two Evangelion Rebuild films, the Fullmetal Alchemist films, Summer Wars, Trigun: Badlands Rumble, Black Lagoon: Roberta's Blood Trail, Appleseed XIII, Tenchi Muyo! War in Geminar and many more shows on the big screen. Watching them at home on DVD or Bluray, even with a big screen, sometimes doesn't fully capture how epic some of these shows can be. Not only are they given the theater treatment, but it is FREE!
    <br>

I wish my theater had anime showing :(
    Join Moe Wars, the new anime/ gaming forum<br><br>Forum: http://moewars.icyboards.net/ Blog: http://moewars.blogspot.com/<br>

I wish I could set up something like this in Memphis. The otaku presence here is surprisingly large for a city that only got it's first convention three years ago.

Perhaps I could talk things over with FUNimation to at least get one of their films screened. I've been wanting to host a Strong World/Wolf Children/Akira triple feature for some time now.

Oh, and @dmguaragno, you wanna talk about good barbecue? Memphis BBQ beats Texas BBQ hands down, upwards, and sideways. I'm not just flapping my gums here, either. Out of a national taste test, Memphis beat out Texas, Kansas City, and North Carolina barbecue by a large margin. You really owe it to yourself to try it someday.

EDIT: I forgot to ask, Gekiganger: Are the free screenings dubbed or subbed?

Memphis BBQ beats Texas BBQ hands down, upwards, and sideways. I'm not just flapping my gums here, either. Out of a national taste test, Memphis beat out Texas, Kansas City, and North Carolina barbecue by a large margin. You really owe it to yourself to try it someday.
    Memphis BBQ uses pork. That makes it automatically inferior to Texas and KC BBQ.

Page 1 of 3 123 >>